Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in another O2 sensor but got nothing. So I will try my own thread. I have 07 R1 with gutted pipe and PCIII and mapped. It runs perfect and have never had a problem. The O2 sensor was disconnected when the power commander was put on. I have been driving for more than 6 months since and ride it hard. But this past weekend I did a trip through death valley and on the way back i was running for a very long time at an average of 110mph and looked down and seen the engine light on. So I pulled over shut it off and did an inspections. Everything is perfect! Started back up and took it easy home. It says code 24. I looked it up an it an O2 sensor.

How do I get rid of it? If I hook it back up it should go away, but is there anything that can be done to stop it from happening again or and easy clear off the engine light?

·
R1
328 Posts
It seems a little strange that you only had the error code for your O2 sensor come up after 6 months ... ?

I think the best course of action would be to plug it back in to clear the error code then un-plug it again and go from there.
:)

·
San Luis Obispo R1 racer
10 Posts
Did your light ever come back on??? I have the same equipment and had the same problem and going to follow your steps. I did plug the O2 back in and the 24 is still on. I have not ran it on the highway yet...Anyone else know how to reset the light???

·
I like to go fast!!!
11 Posts
I'm running a Bazazz and this just happened to me. error code 24 also points to an ecu issue. I swapped ecu's about a week ago to deal with a throttle response issue. The mechanic was eager to try and blame the after market equipment. I'm going to have my original ecu put back on in the morning and unplug the bazazz.

·
I like to go fast!!!
11 Posts
Met the tech at the shop the following moring and compared homework information. We unplugged ecu, o2 sensor, and bazazz unit. Cleaned all conections and plugged back in. no code on start up. I took it out for a test run, ran it hard and fast. no code.Will post agian if i find anything more out.

·
Maui dreamin'
81 Posts
I just had this same problem two nights ago. I have an 08 raven and PCIII. my O2 sensor has been unplugged for about a year with no problems whatsoever, but the other night I was running about 140 for a couple miles straight, then slowed down...hit about 130 for another 5 miles or so and then BAM!!! CEL code 24. I wonder if it has something to do with the engine revving at over 10 grand for more than a short time. Anyway I'm going to try what you guys did and reconnect the O2 sensor for a while to clear the code. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Maui dreamin'
81 Posts
Well it's confirmed. I replaced the O2 sensor and rode it for about half hour or so. Light turned right off. Tomorrow I'll disconnect it again and we'll see what happens. Hopefully no more lights :)

·
I like to go fast!!!
11 Posts
Well ****, swapped ecu, cleaned 02 sensor, and have reset the damn thing three times now. Leaning toward ecu as the problem. it only happens when i stay above 130 for more then a couple of miles(8 or more) Checking with my regional Yamaha rep for his thoughts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have not had my O2 censor for more than 2 year on my 07 R1 ever since I installed my striaght pipe exhaust system.

I have only had this issue twice, Once coming back home from lake Havasu for Spring Break doing about 120 to 130 miles per hour @ 3am and today coming home from Vegas doing the same 120 to 130 miles per hour @ 3am again.

And Both time its happened just right after going from Higher elevation to a lower elevation altitude, so I just assumed that the ECU cannot make proper adjustments between fuel and Air without the O2 sensor.

Otherwise I never see the engine code or Light and never had any problem or performance issues.

Resetting the code:
DIAGNOSTIC MODE
Setting the diagnostic mode
1. Turn the main switch to “OFF” and set the engine stop switch to “Off”.
2. Simultaneously press and hold the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons, turn the ignition
Switch to “ON”, position while continuing to press the buttons for 8 seconds or more.
“Diag” will display on the LCD screen.
3. Simultaneously press the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons for 2 seconds
or more to activate the diagnostic mode. The diagnostic code number “d01” appears
on the LCD Display.
4. Press the select or reset button to go up or down the Diag codes until you find the
Correct Diag Code you want to reset.
5.Once you find code 24 press the engine stop switch to “On” then Off position and the
Code will clear and check engine light will be off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, Inever had any problems before with the o2 sensor but last night was cruising with a couple of friends about 150/160 mph for maybe 20 minutes straight thats when the light came on,my first reaction was F**K lol...then I stopped checked around the engine and the oil level everything did look ok turned back and the engine light still I took it easy on the way home, I notice the 24 code everytime I turn the key in ON position did some research here found out that was the o2 sensor. I did just like Darkknight0069 post ,step by step it took me 1 minute to resolve the problem. I didnt take the bike out yet hopefully it doent come back, I'll keep you guys posted!!
Here you go just follow these instructions if you have code 24 and engine light on:

Resetting the code 24:
DIAGNOSTIC MODE
Setting the diagnostic mode
1. Turn the main switch to “OFF” and set the engine stop switch to “Off”.
2. Simultaneously press and hold the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons, turn the ignition
Switch to “ON”, position while continuing to press the buttons for 8 seconds or more.
“Diag” will display on the LCD screen.
3. Simultaneously press the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons for 2 seconds
or more to activate the diagnostic mode. The diagnostic code number “d01” appears
on the LCD Display.
4. Press the select or reset button to go up or down the Diag codes until you find the
Correct Diag Code you want to reset.
5.Once you find code 24 press the engine stop switch to “On” then Off position and the
Code will clear and check engine light will be off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys, firstly I'm riding a 2009 R1. Last night I was cruising at 120mph for a 100miles and at the last stretch of road I accelerated up to 140mph for about 8 secs when my reserve light came out. Roughly 10 secs later, the engine trouble warning light came on and I stopped at the next gas station to check. It shows error code 24 which I realize its the o2 sensor after I found this thread. This is the first time I'm seeing this error code.

Should I follow Darkknight0069 to reset the code, or should I follow b1crnt73 to hook and unhook the o2 sensor(I dont know whether its hooked or unhooked now, just got bike for couple of months)? Please advise guys. Help greatly appreciated !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi guys, firstly I'm riding a 2009 R1. Last night I was cruising at 120mph for a 100miles and at the last stretch of road I accelerated up to 140mph for about 8 secs when my reserve light came out. Roughly 10 secs later, the engine trouble warning light came on and I stopped at the next gas station to check. It shows error code 24 which I realize its the o2 sensor after I found this thread. This is the first time I'm seeing this error code.

Should I follow Darkknight0069 to reset the code, or should I follow b1crnt73 to hook and unhook the o2 sensor(I dont know whether its hooked or unhooked now, just got bike for couple of months)? Please advise guys. Help greatly appreciated !
Do you know if you have the 02 sensor hooked on the bike still ?? What modes you have on the bike (pcV,exhaust..etc..), if you dont have the 02 sensor hooked on the anymore and you have full system exhaust with pcV ..I would say follow the same steps I did to clear the code and you will be good to go,I had the same problem a week ago I just clear the code and everything is perfect.
NOW if you still have the o2 sensor on the bike then maybe you to some extra reaserch :fact

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you know if you have the 02 sensor hooked on the bike still ?? What modes you have on the bike (pcV,exhaust..etc..), if you dont have the 02 sensor hooked on the anymore and you have full system exhaust with pcV ..I would say follow the same steps I did to clear the code and you will be good to go,I had the same problem a week ago I just clear the code and everything is perfect.
NOW if you still have the o2 sensor on the bike then maybe you to some extra reaserch :fact
Not sure whether I still have the o2 sensor hooked on still, gotta check with my mechanic first thing in the morning tomorrow. Currently my bike is pretty stock, only non stock item is a arrow slip on and a YEC Hi cam.

Anyway, I've cleared the code moments ago. Hopefully the light doesn't show again. Will update in a few days time. By the way, after the code is cleared, will the error code appear again when the o2 sensor is faulty or is it permanently disabled?

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem but bigger

i got my bike used over 2 years and put 13,000 miles on it . Now for some un know cause my code 24 light is on o2 sensor. Problem is i do not have a sensor to plug in to it, to reset it. Can any body help light driving me crazy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.