Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Has anyone seen my ratchet?
25,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the 07R1 for about a year now, and I did not elect for YES warranty coverage when I first bought the bike. I just received an offer in the mail asking if I wanted to add it. How many 07 owners went with the coverage and of so for how long did you add it? I plan keeping the bike for a few years, but I normally do most of the minor wrenching on my own things.

With some of the initial 07 problems I am leaning to perhaps adding at least 2 years coverage. What are your opinions?

Thanks,
Yamahog :vanish

·
Administrator
25,180 Posts
When I bought my 05... I got a great deal on the 4 year YES. :fact Probably wasted money... but great insurance if you need it.

·
fly by wire
1,282 Posts
i didn't get it. like you, i've also had my 07 for about a year, with the only problem being the ecu. haven't had any problems with mine or any of the other 3 yammies that i've had. i don't really think it would be wasted money, especially if something blows up, but more like peace of mind, in case something does.

·
My R1 hasn't killed me yet.
134 Posts
Costs too much, was like a grand or more for 2 years, cancelled mine and got a refund. I dont drive it enough miles a year to make it worth it. Bought it this last spring and it only has 1600 miles on it. Mainlky drive the scooter to work in the summer, and both are put up for the winter so no miles until next spring, probably April. I dont race it, dont stunt on it, so I doubt I'll break anything. Havent even done the ECU swap yet since I never had an issue with the lag. I have found it on purpose though, its there.

·
25,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmmm the offer I received in the mail was for:

2 years $553.80
3 years $660.70
4 years $743.37

·
I used to be LE351!!
1,258 Posts
This option is also avaiable at the dealership for alot less than the YES offers it for. I was able to get the 4 yr extended on the LE for $550. I always questioned if I should get it, because I too have never had any problems with any of my yamahas.

I went out and bought a 2006 R6 last year, and put the extended warranty on it for $550 for 4yrs. This past August, 18 months after the purchase date, the engine blew, and there is a new engine sitting at the dealership now.

I have always been told that the extended warranty also adds alittle on the trade in or sale price. Heck, even if it only adds a couple hunderd dollars, it is worth having the protection for the 5 years in all. You have no idea how glad I was to put it on the R6! Now I dont have to pay anything to get it replaced.

·
Banned
243 Posts
Id always get the 2 years, I doubt ill own a bike longer than 2 years unless I buy a Ducati or something, either way I figure $500 is worth piece of mind for something you just dropped 11grand for.

·
Shamalama Dingdong
221 Posts
I purchased it when I bought my bike... the warranty is only going to be valuable if you plan on keeping the bike for additional years beyond the basic warranty, and if you ride the bike frequently enough.

I plan on keeping this baby for 4+ years and riding it at least every weekend, so it definetely makes sense for me.

·
Super Moderator
21,722 Posts
Dean, If you plan on keeping the bike for say three years I would go for it as long as it's transferable. If you sell the bike before it's up then you can always recoup some of the loss in your asking price due to it being transfered to the new owner.

·
25,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Randy I do plan on keeping it for awhile, so I am just going to go ahead with the warranty. It can be cancelled or transferred, so it is a plus on all counts. Thanks for all of the advice :yesnod

·
792.6 miles from the Gap
1,189 Posts
I bought the 4 year extended warranty on my R6 and felt like I pretty much threw my money away. So I opted to skip on the One when I purchased and will skip now too.

·
Motorhead!!!
564 Posts
I got the 4 years when I bought the bike.

I had an 87 FZX700 that had an output bearing crack and cause a leak. The way Yamaha designed the motor the ONLY way to change the bearing was to rebuild the motor.

Since I planned on putting lots of time on the 07 I wanted to make sure I was covered. That and it helps resell the bike if I choose to later.

·
I fix my R1
429 Posts
I just threw mine away last week. No mechanical problems to date after ~14K miles and ECU already replaced. If you have full coverage insurance and you blow the engine...you just have to tow it behind your truck with some training wheels and rigged steering, disconnecting and then turning in time to miss the wall.

·
25,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just threw mine away last week. No mechanical problems to date after ~14K miles and ECU already replaced. If you have full coverage insurance and you blow the engine...you just have to tow it behind your truck with some training wheels and rigged steering, disconnecting and then turning in time to miss the wall.
Wouldn't that be insurance fraud punishable by up to 10 years in Prison :dunno:butt

·
Registered
516 Posts
i got the 4 year when i bought the bike for about 500. i figured with the throttle by wire and some of the other new stuff it could be money well spent. one repair and it could cover itself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.