Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just got back a few hours ago from spending the weekend at Biketoberfest. Here's what I think....

1) Nobody showed up! Turn-out this year was significantly down from the last 2 years. Except at the Municipal Stadium which had a very good turn out!:rock At the Speedway, there was very little vendor sales... usually there is alot of competition for your dollar, but this year there was one vendor selling mostly Joe Rocket gear :)rock ) and minor accessories. I'm not counting Daytona vendors...

2) Alot of manufacturers showed up! Yeah!!! If there was a bike you were interested in it was there.... except of course the 2004 R1 or the Honda Rune.

3) Speaking of Honda, I talked to a rep who was a bold faced liar.
Honda brought the CBR1000RR to Daytona, but it was on a roped-in pedestal so you couldn't sit on it or mess with it. I thought that was unusual, I mean it's just a motorcycle that costs less than $11,000.... I could go around the corner and sit on a $30,000 custom cruiser but not a CBR? And then I found out a little secret. The CBR looked like something was amiss, I couldn't put my finger on it but I had a feeling... talked to a guy at the Kawasaki tent and he told me that the CBR was a one-off demo model. It wasn't a running bike. It was built just for Daytona at a cost of nearly $300,000, and afterwards it will be destroyed. Well that cleared it up for me and made sense why it was roped off. Now back to the Honda rep, I went back to the Honda tent (I don't know why) and was talking to this Honda guy, and he was all proud and boastful about the 1000RR... so I started asking him questions about this actual bike, you know about not being the real deal... he denied everything and said that this was the actual bike and it will be available in March. So I asked him why I had to wait 5 months for the bike, and why is it roped off, and why can't I sit on it like I can 2 out of the 3 ZX-10R's across the way?..... no answer.

4) that was my segue into the ZX-10R... a little while back someone had a thread about the new bikes and I boldly(?) stated to watch out for the ZX-10R. Well after spending about 30-45 minutes over 2 days drooling on the 10R I have to say that Kawasaki is back in the game. Everything that you can judge without actually moving I grade as a 9.9. This bike (if the engine can hold up its end of the deal, no problem) is phenomenal. It compares to no other Kawi in existence. It feels like it undercuts my R1 by about 30lbs. I took 0.1 pts off because it has a semi-high mount exhaust and not an underseat. This bike is serious business. I have narrowed my choices if a new bike is in my future.... a 2004 R1 or ZX-10R. I think the MSRP of $10,800 will be well spent. Yes, it is smaller that the ZX-6R! Me and 2 other guys today took turns sitting on it, one after the other, kinda creepy when you think about it, but this bike deserved the attention. Kawi brought blue, black and orange. The orange bike was on a pedestal, Kawi must have gotten one from Honda.

5) The stunters for the XSBA competition were professional, courteous and very friendly. Who am I kidding? Those guys were the shit! Got to spend most of my time hanging out with Dan Jackson (Team XMX) and his camp as well as Geared Up (local boyz, hell's yea!!!) Dan was so cool you wouldn't believe. Took the time to sign autographs for me, my son and my daughter... total class act and nice guy. Watching these guys practice and go through the qualifiers for the XSBA comp was sweet! Thanks!

6) The people that I met from Palm Coast to Daytona were all very nice. It's fun talking to Harley guys. They don't know anything about sportbikes and I don't know anything about Harleys. A perfect match!

All-in-all it was a great time, if you couldn't make it try next October. I'll take Biketoberfest over Bike Week anyday.

:thumbup

·
`mmmmm... Sweet Nectar`
495 Posts
Just got back from there a couple hours ago. I went up early this morning and stayed the afternoon. Got a lot of pics... mostly of the custom choppers though..
I do have a nice pic of a blue busa with gucci pattern seats. HAHAH

·
Is it time to Ride yet??
528 Posts
Spent the all of last week there. Drove back home sunday(700miles) I had a hell of a week. I was down there with my boyz from Milwaukee Iron and was working their display. If anybody came through you should have seen our 5 bikes. The purple one with the the stacks will be revealed on the Discovery channel Dec. 29th. My boyz will be on their building this awesome custom in their debuting 2hr episode. Instead of watching Orange County Choppers it will be MI. Discovery channel guyz were filming us in Daytona. I was in the back of the truck taking pics while they were taping my boys riding their bikes. It was a good week, oh and if you are in Daytona even just for one night, may I suggest Lollipop's. All I can say is 100 women with nothing on, what else can you ask for? Frank

oh forgot to mention that I partied with Pauly and Vinnie from OCC, crazy guys, good times.

·
Is it time to Ride yet??
528 Posts
The only pics i took were from one of the discovery guyz camera. I meant to give him my e-mail address but didn't. Wish I could post all the pics in my head, :boobies :beer LOL , Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts