Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How’s it going guys, new user here having a few issues. So I have a 2001 r1, and it’s been giving me a headache to say the least. I bought the bike wrecked but still ran and rode great, just needed front fairings. Fast forward 3-4 months, and I parked it to do some needed maintenance. It sits for about 2 week, and then go to start it and the starter winds up being bad, along with the relay. New relay, starter and battery installed. Couple weeks later, this starter goes out. I have a couple spare starters for parts laying around and attempt to put one together so I could ride, starter winds up working great when bench tested, but wouldn’t work on the bike. In the process of trying to start the bike, the start button hangs up, and winds up frying starter relay #2 and one of the starter motors. Replace button, bought ricks rebuild kit with motor and brushes, and new ricks relay, new battery #2 (ever start I know not the best but it was free and brand new and checks out perfect on volts), check the connections on all wires, everything was great, even put a rear light to all the wires running to any of these components. Put everything in, works perfect for about 3 days. Then, go to turn over, click. Like my starter is out. The click alternates from the motor to the relay. Remove starter and bench test it multiple times and even adjust the housing so that it would give the torquiest/ fastest turn it could. Put on the bike, maybe a like quarter of a turn then click. All the while, the small ground wire that comes off my battery is very hot, not the starter motor ground but the small one that goes back into the wiring harness. Relay is warm, and even after attempting to start it, starter isn’t warm at all. Try making sure everything has a good connection, housing on starter is tightened right, all of that jazz. Hit the button a couple more times, nothing except a click from the relay now. Now, my harness gets hot just at the main plug in on the front of the bike, winds up melting 2 wires at the plug in morning major, but it’s that it’s doing it in the first place. And now the starter relay is letting off a buzzing sound along with every so often the starter letting off a almost very quiet grind/ screech and still bench tests good. Still can’t get it to start with the button it will push start though so I mean I know the motor isn’t locked up. I’m just at my wits end with this bike, love it but it’s a day in day our project. I’d like to add with no arrogance in this statement, that I am definitely mechanically inclined, I’m actually a mechanic for a living, but I am always open to advice and opinions cause that’s the only way to learn more. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Electrical gremlins are no fun and definitely my Achilles.
to me it sounds like a short circuit somewhere causing wires to get hot and some even melting. Wish I could help

·
Registered
50 Posts
How’s it going guys, new user here having a few issues. So I have a 2001 r1, and it’s been giving me a headache to say the least. I bought the bike wrecked but still ran and rode great, just needed front fairings. Fast forward 3-4 months, and I parked it to do some needed maintenance. It sits for about 2 week, and then go to start it and the starter winds up being bad, along with the relay. New relay, starter and battery installed. Couple weeks later, this starter goes out. I have a couple spare starters for parts laying around and attempt to put one together so I could ride, starter winds up working great when bench tested, but wouldn’t work on the bike. In the process of trying to start the bike, the start button hangs up, and winds up frying starter relay #2 and one of the starter motors. Replace button, bought ricks rebuild kit with motor and brushes, and new ricks relay, new battery #2 (ever start I know not the best but it was free and brand new and checks out perfect on volts), check the connections on all wires, everything was great, even put a rear light to all the wires running to any of these components. Put everything in, works perfect for about 3 days. Then, go to turn over, click. Like my starter is out. The click alternates from the motor to the relay. Remove starter and bench test it multiple times and even adjust the housing so that it would give the torquiest/ fastest turn it could. Put on the bike, maybe a like quarter of a turn then click. All the while, the small ground wire that comes off my battery is very hot, not the starter motor ground but the small one that goes back into the wiring harness. Relay is warm, and even after attempting to start it, starter isn’t warm at all. Try making sure everything has a good connection, housing on starter is tightened right, all of that jazz. Hit the button a couple more times, nothing except a click from the relay now. Now, my harness gets hot just at the main plug in on the front of the bike, winds up melting 2 wires at the plug in morning major, but it’s that it’s doing it in the first place. And now the starter relay is letting off a buzzing sound along with every so often the starter letting off a almost very quiet grind/ screech and still bench tests good. Still can’t get it to start with the button it will push start though so I mean I know the motor isn’t locked up. I’m just at my wits end with this bike, love it but it’s a day in day our project. I’d like to add with no arrogance in this statement, that I am definitely mechanically inclined, I’m actually a mechanic for a living, but I am always open to advice and opinions cause that’s the only way to learn more. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Well if the relay is clicking, I know personally it needs to be replaced. Perhaps the relay isn't oem?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts