Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
This space for rent..
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting ready to order a new set of tires for my '04 R1 today on RonAyers.com and I noticed that they list a normal Pilot Power and then an '04 R1 OEM Specific Pilot Power...

..I think I remember an early article of Sport Rider magazine that said that the '04 R1 would come with Michelin tires, but that Yamaha decided at the last minute to stick with Dunlop?

Anyway.. Does anyone know the difference between the normal Pilot Power and the OEM Specific version? Tread design, maybe? Both tires are the same price.

·
Drinking Colt 45's with Lando
6,077 Posts
plinss said:
No, they're not. I called Michelin about it and they claimed that the R1 version has a different compound.
Did they mention which compound was better? I am curious to know this.

·
Administrator
24,868 Posts
From what I can remember reading... the OEM specific tires are a little harder compound allowing them to last a little bit longer.

·
Will stoppie for coyotes
495 Posts
Jeff said:
Did they mention which compound was better? I am curious to know this.
Well, "better" is a loaded word. They said the R1 version was designed with Yamaha specifically for the R1, so by that reasoning it should be better for the R1. How it's different they didn't (and wouldn't) say. So if it's better for you and how you ride, I can't say.

I've run both versions, and if I had to guess I'd say that the R1 version is softer. I can't say for sure though because I've only used the R1 version at the track and the regular version on the street. I chewed through half of the tread on the R1 version in about 300 miles (one weekend, two tracks), but the grip was fantastic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts