Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

14581 - 14600 of 14635 Posts

·
ROWDY
12,177 Posts
I had a good romp on the R1 yesterday. First time out in about three weeks. Changed the oil while it was up due to the weather. The roads were garbage! gravel, dirt and sand bars in the road, One road was covered in sticks and other junk. But still made a good run; Had a 165 pull on my back woods straight stretch. the old planker was running good.

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
I did Harris Hill this weekend for the first time. It was a lot different that a regular track day. Basically just open track time for three hours. We did a introduction type event so there was just 20 or so on the track. It is a fairly slow track compared to COTA or TWS, but similar to Cresson. Lot's of turns (11) and with the "character" it is pretty physical. Also picked up a spare rear rim last week so I ran a KR451 soft compound slick on the back instead of the street tire (Roadsmart 3). Unbelievable tire! It worked very well with the Q3 front and needless to say tires were never an issue.

·
ROWDY
12,177 Posts
I did Harris Hill this weekend for the first time. It was a lot different that a regular track day. Basically just open track time for three hours. We did a introduction type event so there was just 20 or so on the track. It is a fairly slow track compared to COTA or TWS, but similar to Cresson. Lot's of turns (11) and with the "character" it is pretty physical. Also picked up a spare rear rim last week so I ran a KR451 soft compound slick on the back instead of the street tire (Roadsmart 3). Unbelievable tire! It worked very well with the Q3 front and needless to say tires were never an issue.
That sounds like a lot of fun. I would love to ride once with slicks, Something that would give you the confidence to lay it down and know it would come back up! :lol

·
she said 'do I race'
420 Posts
YZF-Rich....man I was going to the same Harris Hill wknd! My house decided a plumbing leak is better so had to cancel. I assume you stayed in 2nd the whole time?..lol I've rode mini's, RC390, CBR600, and my 09 R1 out there and your right, it kinda reminds me of Cresson.

Sorry for the ignorance everyone, I'm 48 and don't have a lot of forum experience. Is this the 'area' to go to for folks living/riding in our area(s)?

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
YZF-Rich....man I was going to the same Harris Hill wknd! My house decided a plumbing leak is better so had to cancel. I assume you stayed in 2nd the whole time?..lol
I was in third quite a bit actually, but yeah second is plenty. Hoping to go back in June, but I also have a trip to the three sisters planned, so we will see.

TXSR does rides quite often around Austin.

https://www.meetup.com/Texas-Sport-Bike-Riders-Austin/

·
she said 'do I race'
420 Posts
Cool thanks for the info....I've ridden in the past a couple times with this group. I'm sure there are alot of new faces.

I use to have an '09 R1...blue with tons of extras on her. Don't know if you would remember me or not...

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
Probably not. I know maybe 20 people in the group... Although you would think I would remember another R1 rider since we have so few for some reason.

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
worth a shot...this was back in 2010ish anyways
I didn't join until 2015... Come out to a track day with us! A bunch of us are going to COTA in July, and we will likely do Harris Hill next month. I was trying to figure my way into TWS Memorial day, but can't swing the funds.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Harris Hill is my favorite track. I think mostly cause it's so short, it's easy to get down and remember all the breaking points and apex's. I really wanted to go that weekend too, but my kids graduation party got priority over it. Shit they get all my time and $ these days. That's ok though, 2 down and 1 more to go and me and the wife will be free again!

·
she said 'do I race'
420 Posts
I didn't join until 2015... Come out to a track day with us! A bunch of us are going to COTA in July, and we will likely do Harris Hill next month. I was trying to figure my way into TWS Memorial day, but can't swing the funds.
I had plans on doing COTA, Harris, and TWS this wknd.....But outta nowhere got laid off from my 7yr stint at LaRue Tactical :whtfu:
--3 weeks after I bought the new R1 AND 1 day before my 2 week vacation replenish date--(well if they didn't break one off in me I wouldn't have mentioned the company name!!!:rant2:

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
You'll bounce back. I was laid off for almost two years (while also going to school on Uncle Sam's dime). Still managed a few track days, you just have to get creative (like corner working for credit). Best wishes man and hope you find something soon!

·
Pacem in tenebris invenio
789 Posts
Hey y'all, been a while since I was on here. Whats good?

·
she said 'do I race'
420 Posts
Hey y'all, been a while since I was on here. Whats good?
:whtfu: Can we get a cricket emoji?
I've always found it somewhat difficult to organize group rides. Maybe it's just a TX thang? Austin doesn't have a "bike" hangout like some states (CA). I've seen pics of Deals Gap for example where there is a huge bike culture with multiple hang outs, always groups of riders willing to meet in large numbers....is it the TX heat that makes it difficult? :uhh:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yeah, the closest thing we have around here is far as a motorcycle hang out is Hardtails, but it's a Harley bar up in Georgetown. There's Texas Sport Bike Riders get together fairly regularly. I just don't ever have the time anymore. I'm almost there though. My oldest 2 are out of the house, and my youngest is 13, so it wont be long until I'm free again.

If you want to check out some cool BMX racing, we have one of the best tracks in the US right here in Travis county. Our state race is this weekend, Sunday being the main day. It's free to watch.
Central Texas BMX

or look us up on facebook

·
she said 'do I race'
420 Posts
Yeah, bike nights here are a flop. Never seems to last either...when there is a "new" bike night somewhere the first couple weeks is a huge turn out...go's backwards after that.

BMX...I'm still riding my DK 24". I raced ABA for years (11-16yrs old), I'm 48 now. Actually beat Skyway factory rider Eddie Segman at my home track in Houston on a triple points wknd!!! My only claim to fame...

I use to ride on practice days at the track off 620...this the same place?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Awww shit, man you need to come out and at least hit a few practices. We've actually got a pretty good 40-50 cruiser class too.

It's not on 620 anymore. We are on Killingsworth Ln. If you go east on Wells Branch for about 3 miles, you'll see the track on the left. You can't miss it, we've got a huge 5 meter starting hill that's covered. We have races on Friday and Sunday nights and practice is on Wednesday night and Saturday morning.

This is our State Race Qualifier weekend, so we'll be racing Fri-Sunday.

If you come, ask for me, Thomas, I'm one of the main volunteers, so I'm always there and easy to find.

14581 - 14600 of 14635 Posts