Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

14621 - 14635 of 14635 Posts

·
Owner of the color changing R1
16,563 Posts
Why do you think you need a new fork? There's no bushings in the 09-14 forks. I have bushings in my FJRs right side up forks but I don't recall there being any in the upside down forks on the r1 when I rebuilt them

·
ROWDY
12,177 Posts
I think they are made into the tube, If they are loose, you have to replace the tubes. I don't know what is wrong with mine. There is no reason for it to be leaking. The tube is not damaged, The seal should not be damaged. but leaks! lol I tried using a "Seal Mate" cleaner on it the other day. Have not rode it to see if it helped or not, They claim that it will 90% of the time. We will see. I hope it does.

·
ROWDY
12,177 Posts
Glad you caught it before you got further down the road. My front end shakes badly from time to time. Think it's about time to replace the steering head bearings but as y'all said it's just too ****ing hot these days to work in the garage. Maybe this fall I'll try tearing into it. Need to change the CCT also.
You still running the factory Hydraulic CCT? I finally went with the Graves mechanical unit. And so far I like it. I have about 2,500 miles on it.

·
16,563 Posts
That's the first I heard of that kinda issue on the forks. Are you on the r1 owners page on Facebook? If so reach out to Chad he rebuilds forks and could tell you if it's a common issue or whatever.

As for the CCT yeah I'm still using OEM. It was changed at 4k miles under warranty. I'm at 30k now and it's starting to rattle. Need to change it soon. Need to put it in for valve clearance check but damn that's a lot of money for something I'm hearing many people say are still in spec at that milage

·
ROWDY
12,177 Posts
That's the first I heard of that kinda issue on the forks. Are you on the r1 owners page on Facebook? If so reach out to Chad he rebuilds forks and could tell you if it's a common issue or whatever.

As for the CCT yeah I'm still using OEM. It was changed at 4k miles under warranty. I'm at 30k now and it's starting to rattle. Need to change it soon. Need to put it in for valve clearance check but damn that's a lot of money for something I'm hearing many people say are still in spec at that milage
I'm happy with the graves unit I installed. I don't have that crappy tick that it had with the hydraulic unit. Mine after a hard run with 90* + temps, the oil would thin out and the hydraulic CCT would start ticking when engine was idling.

·
16,563 Posts
I'll probably order a Graves next week along with the stuff to change the steering bearings. Finally made top pay at UPS so my checks are much nicer now haha

·
16,563 Posts
Rich your pics are blocked for some reason.

Just installed the Graves CCT this weekend. Fires up smooth now. Now I just need to tear the front end off to replace the steering bearings.... Anyone wanna volunteer? Haha

·
ROWDY
12,177 Posts
Well, It looks like those Bastards from Verticalscope have visited this place as well. They are changing all the forums they get their hands on to this screwed up format.

14621 - 14635 of 14635 Posts