Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Backmarker
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I first got the idea for the squadrons, I really didn't give it much thought in terms of long-range ramifications. After my talk with ScorpionR1 last night, it became clear that a few basic guidelines need to be laid down.

1) Choose an insignia/name that does not sound like a gang. Names like "Dragons," "Reapers," "Devil Worshipers" and "Bloods" might sound cool, but they draw unnecissary and unwanted attention from John Q Law, and make us look like a bunch of posers. You squadron name should be representative of the region you live in, and should reflect positively on this forum and its members.

2) DO NOT DO THINGS THAT WILL MAKE THE REST OF US LOOK LIKE JACKASSES. Stand-up wheelies through school zones, rolling burnouts in a church parking lot, or just plain discourteous behavior. Use your common sense. I'm not saying that stunting is banned, but just do things in the appropriate environments. Illegal or dangerous riding is grounds for suspension or a ban from the squadron.

3) Elect a C/O who will be responsible and has a great deal of experience with riding (and who isn't too busy), and then respect the decisions this person makes on your behalf. If the C/O is unreachable, respect the decision of the X/O. This is not about a power trip or throwing around a lot of weight, but these people will need to diseminate a lot of information for the rest of the squad and are responsible for maintaining the image and are accountable for the behavior and activities of their squadmates and squad. This responsibility should not be taken lightly.

4) Official Squadron activities must be passed through your C/O to be approved. Unofficial activities are encouraged as well. There are a lot of great people on this forum, so don't let yourself be discouraged if your C/O is not available or unreachable.

5) ALL THE RULES OF CONDUCT THAT APPLY TO THIS FORUM APPLY TO THE VARIOUS SQUADRONS.

6) Membership has some basic requirement. Foremost, they need to be a member of this forum, NO CRIMINALS (you know who you are), and I think there should be a minimum age of 21 (sorry young guns), though I will leave all of this to each Squadon Commander to enforce.

7) Have fun.

8) Respect other squadrons, and not spam or interfere with the operations of another squadrons.
8a) If there are inter-squadron squables, I will step in and settle it with the help of the squadron leaders (don't make me do this).

9) Finally, DO NOT DO THINGS THAT WILL MAKE THE REST OF US LOOK LIKE JACKASSES.

Remember, the purpose of these squadrons is not to act all tough or be bad-asses, but to show pride, get to know people in your area, build a sense of community and comeradere. Harley riders get at least as much positive press as negative, while sportbike riders only seem to get the bad. Remember, this is a great opportunity for us to be ambassadors and get some positive press for our sport.

Thanks for everyone's support and enthusiasm for this idea.

·
i read your email.
2,896 Posts
No_6 said:
NO CRIMINALS (you know who you are)
Just a quick thought on this one. I know I am related to in this comment and was wondering why you should be tainted for one bad decision that you made? I am not disputing it, but seriously, that is like saying the Hells Angels are really angels. Of course I agree that It doesn't help the image in anyway, but If your not flaunting it then I don't see why it is a problem.
I have had my fair share of run-ins with Johnny Law Dawg, but by no means would I ever want to re-live them again.

Let me give you an example besides myself:
Someone else on this forum has openly admitted to having a DWI on record in their past. Shouldn't that exclude them as well because they are technically a criminal?

Another note, I was open enough to share my story with everyone to show that what I did was wrong, I am paying for it, and that someday when I ride again I will ride with alot more respect for the road, for the police, and for my motorcycle.

I just think it is unfair to exclude people because of somthing they did in their past. If what I did happened while I was part of the Squadrin, I think then It would be grounds for reveiw.

Seriously, are you going to check everyones crimnal history that joins? Set an age limit and keep it at that. I'm not trying to start a flame war, just voiceng (sort of speak/type) my opinion.

Thanks for listening.

·
Ride safe boys.
1,853 Posts
DrEvil, I don't think that No_6 meant it like that. I think he meant that we don't want known criminals, i.e. bike stealers, drug dealers, bank robbers, murderers, shit like that, associated with what we are trying to establish here. (You and Maxxym are still welcome in my book).

BTW, side note, can anyone make a stealth covering for out Squadron sticker? I may need that, :( . Or maybe I will have mine so it velcros on and off for those times when you need to... not be associated with anything, ;) .

·
i read your email.
2,896 Posts
Thanks Joe. All the same I just want to know what the real deal is here. Imho, It says "you know who you are" So that is telling me that people here already have been singled out and disqualified correct??

·
Backmarker
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't aiming these comments at anyone in particular, so don't take it personally. Dr. Evil, I have appreciated your enthusiasm for the idea, and have enjoyed your sense of fun.

To clarify on points 2 and 6:

If someone has learned their lesson or paid their debt, I am certainly not going to hold it against them. Ask me for forgiveness 7 times, or 7 times 7 times, and I'll forgive you. However, there should be a certain level of demonstrated maturity and accountability for their actions. THIS IS NOT AIMED AT ANYONE, but if someone were bragging about criminal/dangerous activities, then NO, I do not want them involved officially. For example: people who purposely seek out cops in order to engage in a high-speed evasion need not apply. Doesn't mean I wouldn't hang with them, or be their friend, but I do NOT want to be officially connected to them. I have been pulled over for the actions of others, which cost me time and money, and it is NOT fun. This forum, and each club is about community--which means thinking beyond your own selfish wants or desires, and taking into account how your actions impact your friends and neighbors as well as yourself. "I'm only hurting myself," reasoning doesn't fly with me.

But this is why I have stipulated that each C/O is responsible for taking care of this. As they live near their squadmates, THEY will have to live with someone else's bad behavior, not me. If someone has made questionable posts or have displayed dangerous behavior, it is the responsibility of the C/O to follow things up. Talk to the person, and use their best judgement as to whether or not the person is suitable. It is a large gray area, which is why selection of the appropriate C/O is very important.

Any more questions?

·
i read your email.
2,896 Posts
No_6, I appreciate your reply and just wanted to note that the ruling just seemed like profiling. I understand about getting stopped for the actions of others. I have been there and It sucks. Fact of the matter is, most of us here do break the law everynow and then. Even the cops that ride! I don't want to sound like I'm whining, I just want to make sure that the process is fair to everyone.
I also agree that this should be a C/O Issue as well. It would be better to put this subject to rest because I am not looking to insight a flame war (which happens all to often due to miscommunication) but instead just try to shed a little light on the situation.

If anyone thinks this issue needs to be discussed over the phone, my C/O has my phone number. If not then I will assume that the above statement is false, and that it should be corrected to show the discression on the C/O.
NO_6, If you would like to speak to me personally about this please feel free to PM me and I will give you my number.

Thanks for listening.

·
Ride safe boys.
1,853 Posts
Treat it like gays in the military.

·
i read your email.
2,896 Posts
:confused: Hey now...I dont eat my corn the long way:confused:

·
South Side Hitmen
2,214 Posts
just a thought, I think we should share phone numbers and addresses with only other members. Just in case we get in trouble
like break down or a flat tire........running from the law...:lol :lol

·
My R1 ate my R6
2,565 Posts
velocityboy said:
just a thought, I think we should share phone numbers and addresses with only other members. Just in case we get in trouble
like break down or a flat tire........running from the law...:lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol

·
i didn't know she was with you
51 Posts
Dr. Evil, i am a fellow nor'easterner, and had read the post for our squadron. I like the idea for the insignia, and was wondering how we are going to display it. I was thinking that either decals or static cling stickers(that can show through the underside of a windscreen) would be a good idea as well as patches for our jackets.

Also don't take offense to No_6's comments. I don't think they were directed at any "type" of people. I think the squadron idea is great, they just don't want a mini-Hell's Angels thing happening. So, if you ride with any known gun slingers hehe, leave 'em home when wearing the squadron insignia.

just kidding... :lol

email me at [email protected](I used to have an R6) and let me know what ideas have been thrown around about patches, decals, etc.

Thanks..

·
Banned
1,544 Posts
you know who you are.......

Nobody should get all bent out of shape by No. 6 making that comment unless they have a guilty conscience. That comment is directed to anyone in the sportbike riding community.

Let's relax and enjoy this sqaudron introduction.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I had just had an IM conversation with Scorpian about the rules and regs of having squadrons. I am fully enthusiastic about having clubs come about from this forum as long as a few things apply...

The rules that are stated in this thread are great...

My biggest complaint is that I really dont want to put any decals that have to do with a squadron on my bike...I am planning on putting R1-Forum decals on it because I do support this forum and all the riders that belong to it.

Please dont flame me for my opinions....

·
I eat my R1
1,069 Posts
am i missing something or...

are we making patches or stickers?

·
Backmarker
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Patches and/or sticlers is up to each individual squadron. I like the idea of cling stickers, so that way you can peel 'em off and go stealth if need be.

·
I am at peace only when I ride
1,032 Posts
no_6 you decide dragons is something negative but wolf pack, venom, faces of fire, all seem to be ok. Am I missing something here. I look at Dragons as something above standard and not either good or bad such as the wide selection of people we have in our group. And you also think that the whole northeast has to refrence newyork city although it is a small part of the northeast. Why is it the northeast has to do this but it sure looks like all the other groups are voting and doing what they want including yours using the wolf pack which the west also seems to be thinking about or the dragon. I am not trying to flame or be an ass but please explain why you are making our decisions. Should it not be voted on. Again I am not trying to be an ass I am sure I am succeding but I also want to be able to help make decisions in my squad and not have someone else tell me what my group has to do specially when that person doesn't even belong in my squad.

thanks

asshole dave. :beer

·
i make your girl wet...
1,638 Posts
DrEvil said:
:confused: Hey now...I dont eat my corn the long way:confused:
ROFLMAO

holy shit you guys kill me.

·
Backmarker
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ultimately, the name of each squadron and position titles, is UP TO THE SQUADRON and it's leader. If the squad descides that they want to be the Dragons, I will not interfere with it. I am no more keen on the name Venom than I am Dragon, but if that squadron decides that it will work out, and that they will not have troubles with the police, then more power to them. But I reiterate: this is a REGIONAL issue, and should be determined by the people who are in the squadron.

I will not interfere with the internal administration of any squadron, but I am adding this rule:

9) Respect other squadrons, and not spam or interfere with the operations of another squadrons.
9a) If there are inter-squadron squables, I will step in and settle it with the help of the squadron leaders (don't make me do this).

·
i didn't know she was with you
51 Posts
i like the dragons idea also. if we could only get the dragon on the cover from the movie Reign of Fire. that thing was bad ass...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
26 Replies
18 Participants
stan UKR1rider
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing