Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a dog soon, but dont know which kind i want. A few of my favorites are Great danes, Rots, Doberman's, American putbull terrier, German Shepards, Boxers, and one of my favorites, Neopolitan Mastiff (wrinkly dog). I need a dog that isn't bouncing off the walls, because i live in a 3 room house. I will be getting the dog as a puppy, no matter what i get. Also I need a dog that doesnt shed a whole lot. Which would be the ideal dog out of my list above? Any help is appriciated. Thanks

·
Registered
641 Posts
German shepards are great dogs. very smart. and good family dogs. i had one a long time ago, but she was hit by a car.

·
Track-addicted
1,729 Posts
I have a german shepherd/ lab mix. She looks just like a shepherd though, they are great dogs!! They shed though if you keep them outside. I heard boxers need lots of attention. Dobermans are dumb and I wouldn't trust a rott. But then again I want a wolf hybrid. Go figure.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha yah it is! Do German Shepards shed a lot? that is a big thing for me.. my g/f is mildly allergic to dogs so i dont want hair around that doesnt have to be.. i do expect some tho..

·
My RR tempts me
654 Posts
You could try posting in the Off-Topic area. Or maybe the General Dog Discussion forum. Anyways, get a rot with the short hair. Nobody will mess with your house.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there a special breed of rot that has shorter hair? if so what's the name? I'd very interested. Like i said im sorry for posting here. This area gets the most traffic.

·
USMC/0369 1986-2008
5,662 Posts
I8urGixer said:
I'm looking to buy a dog soon, but dont know which kind i want. A few of my favorites are Great danes, Rots, Doberman's, American putbull terrier, German Shepards, Boxers, and one of my favorites, Neopolitan Mastiff (wrinkly dog). I need a dog that isn't bouncing off the walls, because i live in a 3 room house. I will be getting the dog as a puppy, no matter what i get. Also I need a dog that doesnt shed a whole lot. Which would be the ideal dog out of my list above? Any help is appriciated. Thanks
I have had 2 Boxers and both were HYPER:sneaky You could hold you hand still to pet them, they did all the work jumping around.

I now have 2 Labs Chocolate and Yellow, they ate my buddys house siding and deck and his kids swimming pool. The Yellow Bastard ate the sheet rock from around my back door. Most of all they dig like hell!

Sheppards are very loyal and when trained well are very very obediant. Very PROTECTIVE over their master and domain:thumbup

·
My RR tempts me
654 Posts
Well, I don't know the name of the rot. I mention it only because it was around 180 pounds and all muscle. Definitely even meaner looking because it had short hair. Kinda like a wet cat. You see its real size, only the real size on this rot was 180 pounds! If you were thinking of Danes, then the rot wouldn't be too big. And the one I knew was real tame to me until I showed up late at night one time and almost hopped the fence. It barely growled at me and I was ready to run home.

·
Dog
173 Posts
I'd go with the German Shepherd. They're great guard dogs, smart, and look cool (like the R1). If my pooch kicks the bucket I'll probably get one. There's a place that sells the Heidleberg models of GS here in Spring, Texas. Those look like they've got a lowering kit in the rear. If you get an import model they're like $2000 or so and you have to learn to speak German.

·
We love the subs!
3,302 Posts
Romans623 said:
I'd go with the German Shepherd. They're great guard dogs, smart, and look cool (like the R1). If my pooch kicks the bucket I'll probably get one. There's a place that sells the Heidleberg models of GS here in Spring, Texas. Those look like they've got a lowering kit in the rear. If you get an import model they're like $2000 or so and you have to learn to speak German.
Why, doesn't the dog speak english??? :crash :lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ahh Sh#t..i just looked it up... German Shepherd's shed a lot seasonally... how bout any of the other dogs?
rot, doberman, boxer, american pitbull terrier, great dane, Neopolitan Mastiff, bulldog, and giant schnauzer...? Anyone know about those?

·
too old to care
666 Posts
I'd go with the American Pit Bull Terrier .I've had Labs , they're by far the most destructive friggin dog I've ever owned. I've had a female pit bull for the past 9 years now , she's the best dog I've ever owned , we're in the market for a pup as well , it will be a Pit as well. I think the pit gets a lot of bad publicity because of the morons that like to raise them and fight them , the one I have is a lap dog that likes to be babied around . on the upside , she's intimidating enough to strangers that they won't come near my yard. Good Luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Haha, you beat me to it vizsladog44. I have a 7 year old female Vizsla, and I don't think I'll ever own a different breed again. She's amazing, full of personality, very playful, beautiful dog. She's also protective when strangers come around.

Only problem I've had with her is she has glaucoma. It was mis-diagnosed several times and she lost one eye, but she gets along fine, doesn't seem to bother her at all.

·
My dog Banshee kicking ASS!!
1,123 Posts
All the breeds of dogs you picked are rather large dogs, maybe a bit too large for a 3 bedroom apartment. Maybe look for something a bit smaller, like a sheltie or australian Shepherd. If your girl is allergic, then maybe a hypoalergenic dog like a Poodle, Coton, or a Havanese.

Keep in mind, a bigger dog requires more excersise. If I had to choose a dog from your list I'd say go with a small American Staffordshire Terrier (Pit Bull).

That's just my $.02. By the way GSD's shed like crazy!:eek:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts