Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was talking to the VP of Sales from "Center of Gravity", the new exclusive distributor of DOT Approved OGK helmets in the US (Huntington Beach, CA), at the Detroit show today.

Found out some interesting things about why "Helmet Harbor" stopped selling OGK. It seems because they were "Gray Market" (not DOT approved), they had to stop selling them in the US to avoid potential litagation (safety).

The helmets sold by the above are DOT approved, and feature different shell construction, which enables them to meet all the DOT requirements. So they are now available for sale in the US, the downside is - at this time the US versions are not available in the replica paint schemes (no Jeffries or Hislop replicas) :rant

Damn . . . missed the last Jeffries rep at Helmet Harbor, and no US Jeffries version . . . now its like do I spend top dollar at the OGK Shop in the UK (plus international shipping) or get a US Doug Polen edition :argue

On a side note, I tried on a couple and played with the features, and the fit & construction is as good as my Arai, plus the shield fastening system puts Arai's to shame, its that easy :thumbup

And the painted graphics are equal to Arai's :yesnod

Site link: http://www.ogk-helmet.com/index.htm

Attachments

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts
Honestly, I would still buy the non-DOT version, casue it's lighter... :fact

The fact is that even if it's DOT approved, it doesn't mean it's stronger or saver. Even Arai claimed that just Snell itself, it's already much more stringent than the legal DOT. If the non-DOT version is good enough for the GP or TT riders, then I think it's good enough for us.

Not flaming or anything, just my point of view.

;)

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
I've seen the OGK in person, and i gotta disagree with ya on that one.
First, i don't know why people have trouble with the Arai SuperAdsis shield system, i think it's exceptionally easy.
Second, i don't think the fit and finish of the OGK inside or out compare to Arai or even Shoei. I would put them on the level of HJC, KBC, AGV, and possibly Scorpion.
Third, it does not take much to be DOT approved in the US. The DOT approval means that you have tested your helmets in house and that you are certifying them to meet the requirements of the DOT. On the other hand a SNELL rating means that you have passed outside certification to meet the standards set by SNELL, so unless they are SNELL approved, i would not put them on the level of helmets that are.

Just my $0.02.

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
Great points budah......i've been in the buisness for a long time and the batch testing and eruo standards are better than ours.Thats why the us gets different(heavier)modles of helmets than anywhere else.....

How you know about scorpion helmets???

·
10,685 Posts
i'm sneaky! :sneaky
plus i still have contacts in the industry, so i get all the good news.......and bad.

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
Rorlow

I purchased my D Jefferies replica about 3 weeks ago from Helmet Harbor taking into account it wasn't DOT approved but as bigBoyBudha says the DOT requirements aren't tough to pass where as Snell is a bit more stringent, But as a multi time extremely satisfied Arai owner(most recently an Rx7RR4) the OGK is every bit the quality of ARAI both inside and out.:fact

Attachments

·
10,685 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Rorlow

I purchased my D Jefferies replica about 3 weeks ago from Helmet Harbor taking into account it wasn't DOT approved but as bigBoyBudha says the DOT requirements aren't tough to pass where as Snell is a bit more stringent, But as a multi time extremely satisfied Arai owner(most recently an Rx7RR4) the OGK is every bit the quality of ARAI both inside and out.:fact
Maybe they've changed or maybe i saw a bad one, cuz they were not that close to me, but hey that's why there's more members than me on the board. To get more than one opinion.:thumbup

·
Registered
100 Posts
OGK's sold at the store just 15 minutes away from my house, alot cheaper than you guys list. Oh, yeah, I live in Japan... :)

·
Shut up and ride
2,359 Posts
Never touch OGK in person, but I have always wondered about their quaility. Guess I will be watching this thread for a bit to get the overall consensus.

·
For the Love of.........Riding
6,718 Posts
I have a OGK FF-4 none DOT approved and am willing to bet its safer at its Snell approval then DOT standards. If its good for racing its good for me.

I got white for $220 shipped plus $50 for a tinted shield. I may paint it I may not, White looks good IMO too.

OGK a 9 >>>> lighter
Arai a 10

I have both

Attachments

·
21,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Big Daddy said:
Rorlow

My thoughts exactly, I wish I would have made the decision when you let me know about the 2 Med. Jeffries at Helmet Harbor :rant

As far as the DOT, I'm not concerned about that either, the Euro standards are fine with me. I too have owned several Arai's (still have my Haga rep) & a Shoei XSP.

I just prefer the OGK shield system over Arai's, and the fit (on me) was better than my Arai. Guess I'm just gonna have to live with the extra expense to get my Euro Jeffries rep now :argue

I posted only to let other people know that OGK are now available in the US (without restrictions), and to inform people as to the reason Helmet Harbor stopped selling them :yesnod

·
21,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wrench said:
OGK's sold at the store just 15 minutes away from my house, alot cheaper than you guys list. Oh, yeah, I live in Japan... :)
Give this some thought please . . . would it be possible to get one from you? If you could PM me with pricing, I could mail you a cashiers check/money order, let me know, thanks again :thumbup

oh yea . . . David Jeffries replica in a medium :yesnod

·
Frank the Tank RPTB
6,226 Posts
I just bought an OGK Hislop FF4...it is an awesome helmet...quality is topnotch

Attachments

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
that DP-5 is nasty looking! I gotta have one :yesnod

1 - 19 of 19 Posts