Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone got any info/experience with this damper:
Öhlins adjustable steering damper with Harris "916" style fitting kit.
I was able to buy it from someone who sold it in the Sell section of this board.

I want to know what this thing looks like and what I can expect from it.. when it's On the bike.

·
one liter asphalt eater
111 Posts
Ohlins

Swedie,

I am undertaking this as an ongoing research project. I hopefully will have some information available to you within the next day or so.

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Appreciate it!

It won't arrive until mid next week. So I got time to wait and investigate around this damper.

·
slowest rider ..rides in front
1,148 Posts
my buddy has it on his 00 R1 .. works great he says .. I too am looking for a steering damper

what do you guys think of the WP steering damper?

the pricing looks attractive ..

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Re: Ohlins

hypeR1 said:
Swedie,

I am undertaking this as an ongoing research project. I hopefully will have some information available to you within the next day or so.
Hey guys here ar ethe instructions for installing an Ohlins damper on a 98 R1. It is in pdf format so you will need Adobe acrobat to read it and I had to zip it for the forum to accept it,it is not big at all

·
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
106 Posts
Hello Swedie
steering damper is actually to make your steering wheel less shaking and make your riding more stable when you ride your bike i recommend it for the R1

If you need more detail tell me I will post more than that

·
R1 just as good as...
105 Posts
I would like to know is there any fitting kits that can be fits between the meter and steering? Saw 1 '98 R1 in a magazine which has it. Wonder is there any for '01 model?:rolleyes:

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
:machinegu WELCOME :machinegu
they make two fit kits one puts the damper over the triple clamp and the other is a race fit kit and it pute the damper between the gauge cluster and the windscreen

·
Saving for a R6
162 Posts
I have the Ohlins front mount it is great. Looks nice and turns everyone green with envy. Honistly though I would have ben happy with a cheaper Toby hidden mount if it was not on backorder.

·
R1 just as good as...
105 Posts
Can u post a picture here? Have been searching 4 a race fitting kit but still unable to find. Hope u can also provide a wedsite, if u have any, where I can view the kit and make purchase.

·
Saving for a R6
162 Posts
The mount that is directly in front of the tank comes directly from Ohlins though I like the look of the harris kit better. You should be able to get them just about anywhere chepest may be direct from Ohlins. Black widdow makes a front mount kit attached is one with a WB dampener but it also works with the Ohlins. http://www.bwracing.com/

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ohlins damper

I've got the Ohlins with a mount by blackwidow racing. It's right in front of the guages and incorporates the guage stay as part of the bracketry. They have a website I believe, and this is a very sanitary set up. My last GSX-R had the longer frame mounted Ohlins and it worked well too, but this set up would be hard to damage in a crash.

·
My R1 eats Gixxers
182 Posts
Hi. I'm new here. I wanted to offer some input on the damper question. Be sure the adjuster is on the left end of the damper (Toby and possibly BW are like that) so you can tweak it on the fly. This is handy when you realize the setting you were so happy with on the street is no match for the little hump in WSMR's front straight. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Settings

A common misconception about dampners is how much you crank them down. I believe my Ohlins has 13 settings. On the street I run only 4 clicks out from full soft ( very light ), and on the race track 2 more clicks out to # 6. You don't want the damner to mask a more severe suspension or tire problem, which they sometimes will if overtightened. On the track I find the bike wheelying more coming off the corners and it just helps the front tire stabilize it's path sooner when it makes contact again, especially if it's still partially crossed up coming off a corner. Just my 2 cents...

·
Really?
208 Posts
The recommended setting for the Ohlins SD124 kit is 6 clicks from full hard. That is way to stiff for me. It robs some feel and it also makes riding slowly (as in town riding) a zig-zag affair. Make sure tires and suspension are in full working order before you start cranking the s/d stiffness up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts