Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Feed me!
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the diffrence in the 98-01 and the 02-03 Ohlins Shock? I know you can mount the 02-03 on the early R1's and the Penske shock has the same part number for 98-03... :dunno

·
Feed me!
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well here is what I found out for anyone else who wanted to know:

The ’98-’01 shock (YA 8013) is a type 46PRCLS & the ’02-’03 shock (YA 204) is a 46PRXLS. So the newer shock has advanced design & technology over the older shock. Also different are the following parts:

Cylinder head

Body

End eye

Valve stop

Compression damping shims

Compression damping adjuster assembly

Hydraulic preload adjuster assembly

Spring clip

When Öhlins makes a shock for your bike, it is prototyped & tested to work on that machine specifically. Some companies will try to fit as many years into one product as they can to save money.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does anyone know that will Ohlins YA8013 (98-01 R1) fit for 04 Yamaha R1?

Long story short:
Did get the YA8013 shock for cheap and the seller said that it's 04-06 shock, but when I got it I did see it is YA8013 shock and not YA343 which is for 04-06 R1.

Now I need to decide that will I keep the shock or return it to the seller and try to find YA343 shock used somewhere. Any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey Siid...

Ohins shock YA 801, Has 65mm stroke, 300mm length (eye to eye, -1/+11mm). Installed preload 14mm, compression set to -12clicks out, rebound -14 clicks out as standard from Factory.

The codes below are for the earlier Ohlins shocks...

YA 155, (98-01) 85N spring fitted
YA 157, (98-01) Soft Version (Has a softer valve stack and spring 80N)
YA 801, Standard version
YA 343, 2004-2006 95N spring fitted

There is some discrepency between the application list and the part numbers when gong thru their tech support section on the website.

The shock should fit, the linkage design is the same, the shock itself is the same dimensions so you should be fine with it, it is just spring rates that differ and I would hazarda guess that the shim stacks are slightly different. I can get the spec cards but no longer work for Ohlins.

Should you keep it, depends.

If your in the UK PM Me...

Mark @ SSR Suspension

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yea I did some searching too and came for the same conclusion that the shock would fit for the 04-06 R1 as the shock has same dimensions like you said. Also the seller did say after I let him know that the shock isn't what I expect to get that he did have the shock mounted on him 2006 R1.

I just don't know should I keep it or return it. On the other hand why should I return it because the shock will fit for the 04-06 bike + it was cheap(ish), but at the same time other part of me is saying that return the shock and find right one for the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Siid
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing