Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
OHLINS or GPR or ? I have a similar ohlins that came stock on my ZX6r it did nothing until I sent it to Kyle racing and they put new oil in valve in it and now it works like a freaking champ 馃敟 if I get the Ohlins for the R1 will I have to do the same thing again does anybody know ?锟硷考 any advice / experience with the GPR ? also open to other dampers in silver/black color ?

Super Moderator
Hands down, I'm picking the Ohlins. It replaces the oem in the same position whereas the GPR does not.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
Hands down, I'm picking the Ohlins. It replaces the oem in the same position whereas the GPR does not.
when u say replaces the OEM do u mean my bike originally left the factory with an OHLINS ? There is no damper on there now but I just bought used ?
You think if I buy the OHLINS I will have to send it to Kyle racing like the factory one that came on my ZX6r that did not work ?

Look Ma 1 Hand!
I have had both the GPR and the Ohlins. Honestly both work well but I do prefer the factory position of the Ohlins.
I have not had any experience with having to send Ohlins to get work done to it.
I did have my GPR redone once. ( It was over 7 years old and had survived a crash.)

I say all that to also say -- I have the factory Damper from my 2016 R1. -- If you want it, $30 and Ill mail it to you.

Super Moderator
when u say replaces the OEM do u mean my bike originally left the factory with an OHLINS ? There is no damper on there now but I just bought used ?
You think if I buy the OHLINS I will have to send it to Kyle racing like the factory one that came on my ZX6r that did not work ?
No, OEM is not an Ohlins but if you have a 2016 R1 it came with an oem damper under the top triple clamp directly from Yamaha. You might want to go check to see if it's there.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
Thank y鈥檃ll I am going to go OHLINS I just checked revzilla they are sold out I am assuming this is an upgraded one from stock but not positive ?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I don鈥檛 see anywhere where a stock damper would have been previously or anywhere to attach to ?

Look Ma 1 Hand!
Ohlins is a definite upgrade from stock.
As Kevap said, the OEM damper is not Ohlins.
But OEM is better than nothing if it is in fact not there.

You can also check Amazon for Ohlins dampers.

Take a look from underneath (same area you are looking but from under the triple tree)

Registered
I have put 900 track miles on my 2012 R1. It has the stock steering dampener and it has preformed perfect. One of the tracks I race at we get going 170mph down the big straight. Not any issues at all.

Honestly unless you are having an issue, there is really no reason to replace it. I had a GPR on my cbr600 race bike and I ran with it on the lowest setting. If you are getting bar shake you need to loosen your grip. . . Read "twist of the wrist 2" by Keith Code. It gives wonderful insight to steering and how to handle the bike.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
I have put 900 track miles on my 2012 R1. It has the stock steering dampener and it has preformed perfect. One of the tracks I race at we get going 170mph down the big straight. Not any issues at all.

Honestly unless you are having an issue, there is really no reason to replace it. I had a GPR on my cbr600 race bike and I ran with it on the lowest setting. If you are getting bar shake you need to loosen your grip. . . Read "twist of the wrist 2" by Keith Code. It gives wonderful insight to steering and how to handle the bike.
. I have not looked underneath my steering stem to see if mine is there I鈥檓 assuming it is I was looking on top of triple tree assuming it was there like my ZX6r I鈥檓 kinda a newbie ! maybe I can adjust that I just know when I鈥檓 smashing through the gears sometimes it gets a real quick fast shake when the tire comes down due to lift control or maybe it鈥檚 right when it鈥檚 lifting up I don鈥檛 know but I get it real fast shake it鈥檚 small and short but I don鈥檛 like it at all I Zx6r did that until I got the damper built right and then it doesn鈥檛 do it anymore thank you for the recommendation

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice ! I love how it is underneath I never knew that! Is it adjustable this is all I can see I can鈥檛 see the other side because my wheel is locked and I already lost my key yes I am that guy lol 馃槨馃槨馃槨馃槨

Premium Member
The stock unit is electronically controlled. So it adjusts based on what is happening in real time. With that said, many people feel like the manual adjusting unit is better. With the R1M, ohlins make a manual and electronically adjustable unit.

As far as ohlins vs GPR, I feel like ohlins is more reliable and requires less servicing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
Thankyou I had no idea mine adjusted by itself. I much prefer keeping it under the triple tree. I will chill for now as the OHLINS is out of stock EVERY where currently !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts