Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
R1...need i say more
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about using motul oil until now....
Anyone out there who has tryed:
"Shell advance"
"Motorex"
"Bel-ray"

In my owners manual it says:
Don´t use oil with anti-friction modifiers.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
OK the BEST oil you can get for a bike is Castrol R4 Superbike oil,it costs but well worth it. My bike actually runs cooler and shifts smoother

·
R1...need i say more
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil

Twisted Logic said:
OK the BEST oil you can get for a bike is Castrol R4 Superbike oil,it costs but well worth it. My bike actually runs cooler and shifts smoother
isn´t that very thin??(5-W40)

·
1,894 Posts
It is thin but I change my oil every 2000-2500 miles anyway so it is ok. Just try it once and see if you like it

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
This is a huge topic on every motorcycle forum. Synthetic or mineral? Semi-synthetic, perhaps? Synthetic is great in a bike with a dry sump like a Ducati. But with a wet sump (Yamahas) you can run into clutch trouble. I have never had any problems with synthetic oil though. I do know that you shouldn't switch around too much - especially with older bikes. I have used Mobil 1 alot and like it very much. The Castrol is good too. I don't think it is totally synthetic, but has a high enough percentage of synthetic that they can put it on the label. The Castrol is probably a great choice because it will give you the performance without hurting your clutch. Just make sure you buy motorcycle specific oil. That DOES make a difference.

·
1,894 Posts
SmokeEater is right,make damn sure you use motorcycle specific oil. Oh ya I have an e mail into a Sheriff friend to ask about the camera thing just to make sure

·
R1...need i say more
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have now been told to use "bel-ray EXS" oil.
Some people who race on R1´s and R6 said so!!!
Ofcourse they are sponsored!!!
What do you think?
Have you heard good/bad things about this oil?

·
R1...need i say more
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
twisted logic

Twisted Logic said:

Hey twisted...
Ok,now i have found the Castrol R4 Superbike oil,
but it is a 10W-50 oil.
I think it is replacing the 5W-40.
Is that the same as you use?

R1...it´s a kickass bike:rock

·
1,894 Posts
The last case I got was 5w/40 but it would be nice if the changed the viscosity

·
R1 xTc
244 Posts
What about Shell Advanced semi-synthetic oil or full synthetic. Are they any good? My dealer put shell into my bike after its first service, oh it was semi-synthetic to.

Why is that, ...........Price do you think?

:rolleyes:

·
1,894 Posts
Is it motorcycle specific if not I would not use it, chances of clutch slippage are increased because most automotive oils have a friction reducing agent in them.

·
R1 xTc
244 Posts
Hey Twisted,

Tracked down some Castrol R4 to buy, but I've been told by my Yamaha dealer that you should not use any synthetic base oils until at least 12,000 km are done.

Something to do with the liners in the cylinders. Aperently if you do use a synthetic to early, sometimes your R1 may start to burn oil (1L a week). If the 12,000km have not been clocked Yamaha will not repair the problem under warrenty.

They recomended Castrol Active4 or Motul 3000 (Mineral Based Oils Only). The dealer even pointed out that the users manual also states no oils containing anti-friction modifiers are to be used, Synthetic based oils such as Castrol R4, Mobil 1, Shell Advanced and so on all contain these modifiers.

Any feedback..........Has anyone else come accross this problem before.........:confused:

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,671 Posts
Yeah, you shouldn't use synthetic oil until 12,000 clicks. Otherwise you halt the motors break in. I broke my R1 in properly and didn't switch to synthetic until 15,000 km. Now my bike (at about 50,000 km) burns no oil between oil changes and when I had it dynoed (when it was stock) the operator said my bike was the strongest stock R1 he's ever seen. It's been completely reliable also....Except for that damn rear brake light

·
Really?
208 Posts
My "new" R1 doesn´t feel as strong as the "old" blue one I had. The blue one was thrashed from day one, while the red one was being ridden by an old lady to church on sundays, serviced with synthetic oils every time since new. The blue one felt... looser enginewise, while the "new" red/white one feels a bit weaker. I´ll use Castrol GPS semisynth from now on.

·
I Jigga high, I Jigga Lo
1,708 Posts
Golly,
This oil topic is for the birds. There seems to be no firm right answer. Every theory seems to make sense about the oil. All I can hope for is that Santa will bring me a case of the right oil and a few spare filters to boot.

Later:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts