Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· SoooooPra~
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my freind is picking up his 2002 R1 in about a month..so i thought i find out some maintenance tips..
first off..
how many miles after do you get an oil change? and which engine oil/filter you guys recommand.
how many miles for the break in period and what rpms shoud he not go over?
and also. did ne body try to install HID kits on their bikes? is this possible?
thanks guys!!i'll have pics of his r1 and my supra when he gets it=)

· Nightmare About to Come True
1,889 Posts
I did my first oil change at 500 miles,use a good motorcycle oil(Yamalube,etc) and a Yamaha oil filter always. As far as break in(let the flaming begin) With every bike I have owned I rode it nice for 100 miles or so then ride it like you stole it,if its gonna break it will still be under warranty. I have 10000 miles on my R1 and does not miss a beat

· Do or do not, there is no try
2,670 Posts
The first oil change is the most critical. Being a new motor, there will be loads of small metal filings in the oil. make it real early. Less than 500 miles is good. Even just 250-300 miles is good. Use heat cycles and load and unload thew motor. I did this about 50 000 km ago and have had no major motor trouble and when I dynoed my R1 the operator said it was the strongest R1 he'd ever seen with a stock motor.

· I'd rather be riding
221 Posts
Change oil at 500 miles like everyone has said. Then change it at 3 to 5 to 8 thousand mile intervals. Before you start telling me 8 thousand miles is too far, my '99 has over 90,000 miles and is still running strong. No valve adjustments required yet and I just replace the clutch for the second time this winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.