Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· XLR8
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the hell is the nut size of that damn thing? I just picked up a metric set and guess what -- no 17 mm socket. URRGGGHH. Since the 18mm is too big and the 16 mm too small, I assume that 17mm is the size.

Before I take of my lower coweling again, can someone confirm? Additionally, if I want to replace the bolt with a new, what is the propeer size.

Thanks.

· pavement tester....
7,317 Posts
17mm, yes if I remember correctly. You might be better off using a breaker bar to loosen that bolt too. I broke 2 ratchets trying to get that thing loose. I was pulling so hard that I thought the bike was going to tip over on me. Anyways, 17mm is good to go. Also, the oil filter was put on by hercules as well, so have fun with that one too. I had to use a screwdriver to get that off.

· XLR8
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Oil change complete. The oil drain bolt is indeed 17mm (6 sided socket). The drain bolt wasn't too bad to get off. I did, however, trash an el' cheapo socket wrench in the process. My big ol' husky torque wrench took over and it was off in a flash. A breaker bar would help those without a good torque wrench.

The filter was a bitch. I too resorted to the hammer/screw driver method. The lower cowel was a bit difficult to put back on the first time. Once you do it, however, it really easy the next time.

RU12, righty-tighty unless you're upside down. I couldn't figure it out, so just guessed and I got it right.

Thanks again.

· V8SMKR
83 Posts

Ohhhh... Might want to make sure which way you are loosening your oil drain-bolt. You can strip the threads in the pan fairly easily, at least that was the case on my R6. Its right-tighty, lefty-loosy. Just act like you are loosening something then apply that to the under side of your oil pan (drain bolt)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.