Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used 2001 Yamaha R1 this weekend and I want to change the oil. Unfortunately, I didnt get the manual that comes with the bike, so I'm kind of missing some important information (I ordered the Yamaha factory repair manual, but it wont be here for a few days...)

So does anyone know what the torque spec on the oil drain bolt is? How much oil should be put in the bike if you're also replacing the filter cartridge? And if you're not replacing the filter cartridge? (Yes, I know where the window for checking the oil is, but this information should be in the stock manual nonetheless).

As soon as it stops raining, I'll get some real saddle time on it. :)

Thanks in advance,
Aa.

·
Registered
447 Posts
First, Welcome to the forum! I wish I had my manual with me to tell you the amount of oil needed. I'm sure someone can answer your question. For some reason 4 quarts is ringing a bell with filter replacment. I've only done it once which is why I'm unsure. If you don't get an answer I'll get my book tonight and tell you. A quick call to your local dealer would probably give you the answer as well if you need it quickly.

·
Road Warrior
721 Posts
Here's the info:
Oil(without filter) - 2.7 litres(2.85 qtsUS)
Oil(with filter) - 2.9 litres(3.07 qtsUS)
Drain torque 31 ft-lbs

PS R1's are waterproof; you can ride them in the rain:p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts