Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Blue ones faster
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen a post with this particular wrench. Most people just have the one that tightens around the filter or they have a K & N filter.

This one cost 12 dollars from the dealer but its makes everything soo much easier.

-Suda

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
Use a strap wrench, or large channel locks.

Its science

·
I WENT TO THE CONVENTION!!
1,456 Posts
wow, that would make it so much easier!! i use the kind that goes on the end of a ratchet and it is a pain to get it on there because of the exhaust. wonder where i could order that from. i dont think the dealer here has that kind.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
SudA said:
I got that before I got this one. It started slipping on the filter? :dunno maybe it was just me.
I had one that did that also. I have another that doesn't, so I use that one.

·
12,213 Posts

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,587 Posts
I just use my barehands to tighten and remove.

Periodicly, if I overtighten the filter, I use a metal band filter wrench that works.

·
Blue ones faster
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eyespy said:

Nice find. Looks like I paid the right price...

I hand tighten mine too but I use the wrench just to add the touch. I'm not a real big guy and hand tight can very person to person, so I just add a little twist after the hand tightening and WA-LA its done.

And this wrench will NOT slip or strip anything, its pretty solid, well spent 12 bucks for me.

Please excuse the blurry pics, but they were taken with my Treo 650<-- not bad for a PDA
:fact

Attachments

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

its a spider wrench....autozone has 'em..stick it on an extension and it take even the most stubborn filter off...its about 8 bucks at auto zone and fits a variety of bike and automotive oil filters...for taking off only btw

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,587 Posts
SudA said:
I hand tighten mine too but I use the wrench just to add the touch. I'm not a real big guy and hand tight can very person to person, so I just add a little twist after the hand tightening and WA-LA its done.

:confused:

You should never use a filter wrench to install a new oil filter.

Two reasons:

1) Can overtighten the filter

2) Might possibly damage the oil filter casing

Have you ever read the directions for installing an oil filter? Most recommend that you spin the filter on until it touches, then turn it about 1/2 turn after that. Some are 1/4, others are almost 1 full turn.

Pretty simple, and not very tight actually.

·
12,213 Posts
rorlow said:
too bad I had to spend $85.00 to get it thou :2bitchsla
Not too bad considering they threw in the Scotts filter for free... :finger

1 - 20 of 21 Posts