Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Pimps Up Hoes Down
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My second bike is a ZX6R '99. I normally do my own oil/filter changes. In the past, I've for the filter from the dealer. I'm thinking of getting generic filters such as FRAM Oil filters.

Would you recommend I stay with the dealer’s recommendations or get the discount one.

Is there a difference?

· Turd Ferguson
682 Posts
FRAM is a good brand, but for the price difference and frequency of having to change the filter I'd just buy the Yamaha brand. If there's ever any motor problems no one can try to blame the filter. I look at like buying generic or name brand oil, why take the risk over a few bucks? I'm sure Yamaha contracts out to FRAM or someone to make the filters for them, but it gives me some peace of mind to see the 'Yamaha' name.

· something like a pimp
594 Posts
I was thinking about the new K&N filter. Comes with a bolt welded on the end so you can remove it with a regular sized socket. Plus the bolt is predrilled so you can saftey wire it. I know you can saftey wire with regular metal bands, but the bold would be much easier.

· 395 of 1000
102 Posts
Stay away from Fram for the bike!!!!!!! They use cork seals and cardboard material in designing the baffles in the filter's chambers that dissolve over time. Now if you keep you oil changed not too big of a problem, BUT I would stay away from any brand that uses those materials. I just don't trust petroleum products with cork or any type of board. They have been known break down and those little pieces get tied up in the motor.....Just a warning....(A buddy of mine and I spent a day researching this about three months ago)

Top quality: WIX, OEM (basically stock brands), emgo,

Medium: Purolator, and STP

:cool:

· Registered
456 Posts
Filters

The kid works part time ( less and less now ) for the local Honda shop. They have a brand called HIFLOFILTRO and the model is a Hf 303. It's application chart is for 5 honda models, 2 Kawi model, 1 polaris model, and as a replacement for the R-1's 3FV-13440-00 stocker. I've used around 10 now and they work well. WHATEVER you decide, don't get cheap with oil or filters and stay with motorcycle specific oils and filters.;)

· Registered
363 Posts
dj1298 said:
I was thinking about the new K&N filter. Comes with a bolt welded on the end so you can remove it with a regular sized socket. Plus the bolt is predrilled so you can saftey wire it. I know you can saftey wire with regular metal bands, but the bolt would be much easier.
That's a great feature! Wouldn't it be nice if all filters had it! :thumbup
Olddog said:
... a brand called HIFLOFILTRO and the model is a Hf 303 ... I've used around 10 now and they work well.
I've used about 9 of them. No problems either. I think changing the oil frequently is more important than the type of oil or filter.

BTW, Yamaha cannot void your warranty if you change your own oil and use non-Yamaha oil & filters. It's against the law in the US. You must do it at least as often as they recommend and keep records.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.