Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using repsol racing 10w-40 then i decided to change to motul 300v 10w 40
After i changed the oil i went for a very short ride then i checked the oil level
Then i Noticed some foam on the top of the oil in the sight glass
Is this is normal after changing the oil ?
Its a yamaha R1 2015 with 3000 miles on it

·
Registered
33 Posts
I do not think mine had that much , but did not really pay attention. It's an 06 . Mine rarely gets hot . It that makes a diff . Rarely ever gets over 180 f . I will check next time Iam out ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do not think mine had that much , but did not really pay attention. It's an 06 . Mine rarely gets hot . It that makes a diff . Rarely ever gets over 180 f . I will check next time Iam out ...

I have an 06, at the time I received the bike it just had the oil changed to god knows what from the previous owner, I noticed it foaming and thought it was weird... then oddly enough I had a crank pos sensor go out and the cam position sensor at the same time... I can only guess it had to do with the oil used because before that oil change he rode it daily. I changed the oil and filter to yamalube and replaced sensors, a little bit of bubble shows up in the window sometimes but not nearly as much

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an 06, at the time I received the bike it just had the oil changed to god knows what from the previous owner, I noticed it foaming and thought it was weird... then oddly enough I had a crank pos sensor go out and the cam position sensor at the same time... I can only guess it had to do with the oil used because before that oil change he rode it daily. I changed the oil and filter to yamalube and replaced sensors, a little bit of bubble shows up in the window sometimes but not nearly as much
I got a 15 R1 but it got 3000 miles on it
Never been to track so i don’t think it is any thing related to that
It is running great just found that bubbles in the sight glass and i felt worried

·
Just Me.
486 Posts
It's fine.

On second thought, if I recall, didn't a bulletin come out stating 300V isn't recommended for the '15 R1?

·
Just Me.
486 Posts
I'm no oil expert, but due to the chemical composition of the different oils mixed (yes, you still had ~0.125-0.25 quarts left of Repsol in the crankcase), and the heat generated, and the cleaning agents (Ester), this could be why you are seeing the foaming action.

You'll be fine; the bike too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You must have a lot of old oil in there. My sight glass is green from Motul. That photo looks tan like traditional oils. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's fine.

On second thought, if I recall, didn't a bulletin come out stating 300V isn't recommended for the '15 R1?
I was putting repsol racing in it but i really feel a huge difference specially when shifting gears its super smooth
Worth the try

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You must have a lot of old oil in there. My sight glass is green from Motul. That photo looks tan like traditional oils. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
I think that is true ! Do i need to remove the oil? Or is it okay to run like that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm no oil expert, but due to the chemical composition of the different oils mixed (yes, you still had ~0.125-0.25 quarts left of Repsol in the crankcase), and the heat generated, and the cleaning agents (Ester), this could be why you are seeing the foaming action.

You'll be fine; the bike too.
Yeah i think that is true ! But do i need to change the oil or is it okay to run like that till the next change?

·
Just Me.
486 Posts
Yes, when people use Motul 300V, it has be stated they can feel a difference. It's no gimmick. I personally have felt a difference in Motul 300V compared to every other oil I have ever used. It's the only oil I use in my bike now. Expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think that is true ! Do i need to remove the oil? Or is it okay to run like that?
If you are worried about it, change it. You need to have confidence in your bike. If it were my bike, I'd leave it. Oil is expensive and I wouldn't waste new oil like that.

·
Just Me.
486 Posts
Drain it into something clean, reuse the oil as it's still new, and just refill the engine to the proper level. Check the level every ride and top off if needed with the excess. Keep the extra stored somewhere safe and sealed from the elements.

Have fun and ride safe.

Reactions: Mohamed195

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, when people use Motul 300V, it has be stated they can feel a difference. It's no gimmick. I personally have felt a difference in Motul 300V compared to every other oil I have ever used. It's the only oil I use in my bike now. Expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.
Yes it feels so cool! Specially when i am on high rpms the sound of the engine feels different. Definitely going to use it over again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drain it into something clean, reuse the oil as it's still new, and just refill the engine to the proper level. Check the level every ride and top off if needed with the excess. Keep the extra stored somewhere safe and sealed from the elements.

Have fun and ride safe.
Thanks bro
Ride safe too

·
Just Me.
486 Posts
Use the multi-post quote option to reply to multiple posts at once. It makes life easier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts