Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

If this has been posted about before then I apologise, but I can't seem to find anything on this specific issue.

I've acquired a 2006 R1 which was crashed and I'm turning it into a track bike. I had a good clean of the engine cases when I was fitting the SAMCO hoses, then a few weeks later I was doing a bit more work and I noticed a small stream of liquid on the engine casings coming from near a bolt. I wiped it wiht my finger and it appeared to be oil coming from the mating faces of the two halves of the crankcase. The leak is only coming from that small area of the seam, everywhere else is completely dry and fine. I've attached pictures of the leaks location.

My theory so far is that when the bike hit the deck (Landed on its side and completely bent the left-hand crash bobbin backwards) it might have knocked something out of position on the top half of the engine (to which the bobbins are mounted). This may have caused some damage to the sealant gasket on the mating faces and might be what is causing the leak? I used a torque wrench on the bolt to check if it was undertorqued or loose but the bolt is tightened to spec (24Nm).

Has anyone ran into anything similar to this? If so some feedback would be appreciated. I'm getting a professional to come and take a closer look at it (and also to drill out a broken exhaust stud too).

Thanks for reading, and again I apologise if this has been posted in similar fashion on this forum!

20200530_184441.jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yamabond (threebond) is generally a very good sealing compound, but everything can fail given the right circumstances, I think you might already know that this may have been the case. If it’s genuinely a very small weep just keep an eye on it by cleaning regularly and as long as it’s stable , leave it alone until you have a reason to tear the engine down in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yamabond (threebond) is generally a very good sealing compound, but everything can fail given the right circumstances, I think you might already know that this may have been the case. If it’s genuinely a very small weep just keep an eye on it by cleaning regularly and as long as it’s stable , leave it alone until you have a reason to tear the engine down in the future.
I neglegted to mention that the leak is happening without running the engine at all, which makes me think that if I'm running it (let alone putting it on track and putting it through its paces), it may be much worse when running. I can't actually run the engine at the minute as theres a broekn exhaust stud which needs drilling out and theres no water in the rad. The garage I called quoted about £850 for the engine rebuild and gasket set, which is a price I'd really rather not pay as you could probably imagine.

Do you reckon the leak would be alright for a track-day or two?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts