Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I eat my R1
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys ever have their oil light come for no reason? Mine came on for two minutes then turned off. Pulled over to the nearest gas station and oil level was fine. What gives?

·
Steeringdamper?? I´m strong...
123 Posts
Oil-lamp

Had that problem myself, don´t know what it is.
Maybe the sensor for checking oillevel thats just having a bad day on our R1s?? Some sort of "glitch" it is, I, just like you, had oil in my bike!!

//Jalle-Sweden-Skåne

B

·
0 Posts
This is normal problem with Yamaha motorcycles, not only with ROnes. The indicator checks level and does not work properly. If you fill up to top level, the light will
disappear. Just check, whether you have enough oil, and continue to ride.

·
Road Warrior
721 Posts
Did it happen right after a wheelie or heavy lean angle? I've had it happen after a certain long corner, and it stays on for some time after the corner; oil level was good.

B

·
0 Posts
It happened a couple of times during the first km of a very normal ride, no wheelies, no lean angles, just slow ride to warm up the engine. Even my dealer's test engine had the problem and my wifes Dragstar 1100 .

mvh // bernd

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The 2nd day I took my R1 out the light came on and me and about 8 of my buddies all pulled over right away and they all talked me into trucking the bike home only to find out it must have been a glitch. As soon as we got the bike home we started it up just to see and it was gone. Day was kinda wasted after that... so just check your level and if you have oil in it you are ok to go.

·
'See you in the crosshairs'
86 Posts
As stated earlier, this is a common problem on some Yamahas, my Thunderace, FZR-RU and FJ 1200 all did it.
The switch is a level indicator NOT a pressure indicator, as long as you fill the oil up till there is just a small 'bubble' at the top you'll be fine.
PS: Remember to recheck more often after an oil change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My R1 does this all the time. It seems espcially prone when the oil has a little mileage on it. Not dirty but not clean either. I have a 99 and it appears that there is no problemwith the motor. Run her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
I eat my R1
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys. When I saw the light go on my sphincter clinched up real fast. My oil has about 2000 miles on it so I got about another 1000 before I change it.

·
Banned
968 Posts
Where the hell were all of you when I asked this same question a freakin year ago? My R does the same thing but I noticed the problem after doing wheelies. Now the light shuts off only briefly then its back on. I must have fubared the sensor because topping the oil to the tilt doesnt help. Yamaha should have recalled the problem bikes I think.

·
Beeeeeer!
9,542 Posts
Mine never did it till after I wrecked it last month. But I wrecked it doing a 12 so that may have something to do with it.

·
Banned
968 Posts
R1_abuser said:
wow this post is almost like two year s old.
WOOPS...... I just noticed that ..... Duhoooooo

·
Banned
968 Posts
R1_abuser said:
wow this post is almost like two year s old.
WOOPS...... I just noticed that ..... Duhoooooo. Talk about bringing a thread back from the dead.

·
Premium Member
27,468 Posts
Just get a black magic marker and color over the spot where the oil light comes on..... :crash

1 - 18 of 18 Posts