Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 R1 with about 6800 miles on it and about 2000 miles ago the oil light flickered on for about 10 sec and went off and hasn't came on since. Today we went out for a ride and it was coming on about every couple mins and staying on for like 20-30sec and it's full of oil. Has anyone else had this problem or heard anything about this problem??? Thanks

·
Crash and Burn, eh Mav?
17 Posts
Mine too

Mine has done this for thousands of miles. I have 16,000 miles on my bike, and it runs great. I have played with the light a lot to see what's up..... what I have noticed - it actually thinks it is low. But it also seems to be related to the engine RPM. What I mean is this, if you keep riding it then it will get worse, until it is coming on a lot. When you are riding, if you pull the clutch in and let it coast for a few seconds, the light will shut off again. If you don't let the RPM's fall, then the light will just stay on. It seems as though (this is my own explanation which holds no scientific or engineering premise) the oil is somewhat low, even though it looks at or near the top level. The high RPM's are causing the oil to move faster, possibly even 'foam' up and causes the sensor to think it's low on oil. I'm still worried that when the sensor says it's low - it's not getting any oil, so I'm careful with it. But, if you add oil - the light will go away. So, I started filling the oil up over the top of the window and haven't had any problems at all.

By the way - I don't know if it matters, but it could be related, I use Mobile 1 Fully Synthetic Motorcycle Oil.

So - don't worry about it, just add oil!
-Mav

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
You are right,the sensor thinks it is low on oil,which does not mean you are not getting oil or oil pressure it is just a level sensor. I put 1 or 2 extra ounces of oil in when I change it and it has never come on since.

·
R1's Rfun
75 Posts
finally i found the answer to my question! i am the only guy i know of in my area that has an r1. i have been having the same problem. the oil was in the range that the manual says is o.k. and the darn light would still come on. so last wednesday i filled it up right to the top of the above notch and it did not come on all night. When i change it this winter i will fill it 2-3oz. over like the moderator said and hopefully i won't see that annoying, frustrating red light! someone tried to tell me it was from doing wheelies and stoppies, but i told them that was not when it came on. it happens during long constant rpm's. i pulled the clutch in once in a while and revved it and it would usually shut off.
?has anyone had any loose engine mounts? i was missing one on the left (shifter) side and the right side (foot break) was loose. i since put chassis protectors on (especially so i could keep an eye on the right side one which is behind the plastic) and they have not become loose since.
i bought the bike used with 2400 miles. i love it-wheelie machine! this winter i am putting a scott's steering damper on it
thanks
brian

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
No loose mounts on mine but I also put frame sliders on two days after I got it. The reason people are telling you the oil light is from wheelies is because on most bikes the pick up tube is in the front so when you do a 3 mile long wheelie the bike is actually not getting any oil when the light comes on.

·
Crash and Burn, eh Mav?
17 Posts
Yep - had the left side engine mount fall out - bounced off the road (I was in the middle of a wheelie down the interstate at the time) and went whizzing by my buddy's head behind me. He rode up next to me real quick and signalled to put the wheelie down and pull over, so I did. He didn't know where or what it was - but he saw it fly off and almost tag him. We looked for about 10 minutes and couldn't find anything missing at the time... I finally noticed it when I got home. I check them quite a bit now!

And I've never had the oil light come on during a wheelie, and I'm on one wheel most of the time for miles. I don't worry about that at all any more.

I do have gas pour out the overflow when I do big stoppies though. Does that happen on anyone else's? I don't care about it - I certainly don't think it's hurting anything, but I do think it's pretty funny.

·
395 of 1000
102 Posts
Mine does the same a little while after every oil change. I'd just keep a little closer eye on the oil level. Mine will start with the flickering and then eventually it will stay on longer each time. Once I add oil back to it the light goes away.....hmmm :error

·
R1's Rfun
75 Posts
no three mile long wheelies YET! This is my first sport bike. Bought it August 7,2001. my best wheelie was two weeks ago on 12th street in erie. i rode one for 1/8 mile in first gear standing up. this was big for me. i had been riding them pretty long before but i was shifting into second and getting up around 110mph because i wasn't at balance point. i starting getting pissed watching all these videos of guys doing them for miles, so that wednesday all i did was stand up's until i got real comfortable and had my bike to the point where i could feel it on the verge of going over-balancing it. now i am just hoping for one more nice day like that wednesday so i can get out on an open road with no lights and see how long i can hold it. i could have rode the 1/8 mile one out longer but the light was red and there were cars going through the intersection. can't wait until next year so i can ride it in the nice warm weather but i cant complain having riden about 5 times in december

·
Natural born looooooser
51 Posts
Maverickcole

Same thing happens to me when I do stoppies. At first I couldn´t put two and two together since all I noticed was the smell.
Even a halfmodest stoppie will make my bike smell gasoline.

And yeah - I too have that oil light problem but I will recieve a new float at my next service.

There´s more to an R1 than riding it...you can smell it and see the light...:p

·
R1's Rfun
75 Posts
r1tobbe,
did your dealer recommend the new float to stop the problem or did you request a new one?

·
Natural born looooooser
51 Posts
crashfallon said:
r1tobbe,
did your dealer recommend the new float to stop the problem or did you request a new one?
They told my that the solution whould be a new floater and that the old one was broken so I don´t think I have to pay a dime for it....
After all, I still have warranty left on the bike and it wasn´t me who said that it needed to be replaced.

Give it a try at your dealer too..

·
Registered
6 Posts
oil light

Several FZ1 owners (myself included) have noticed the same problems regarding the oil light situation. In every case, simply adding a little bit of oil to the top line of the sight window (or just beyond) has cured the problem.

·
My next race bike !
53 Posts
BJR888 WHERE DID YOU BUY YOUR RIDE IF YOU NEED ANY THING STOP IN AT PORT YAMAHA WEST I'LL HOOK YOU UP.
THE SENSOR IS REAL EASY TO REPLACE DRAIN THE OIL REMOVE THE 2 SREWS THAT HOLD IT IN PULL SENSOR OUT PUT NEW ONE IN WITH NEW O RING. THE SENSOR IS LOCATED UNDER THE OIL PAN. I CAN'T GAURENTY THIS WILL FIX IT. IF ANYONE WANTS I CAN CHECK WITH MY YAMAHA SERVICE REP IF THEY HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THEM.:D

·
Really?
208 Posts
On my last R1, the oil level sensor packed in. I got a new one and went to change it. Screws came loose OK, but the d*mn exhaust is in the way! The sensor comes out a small bit, then collides with the EXUP box thingy on he pipe! To get the exhaust off, you´ll have to get the radiator off, to get the radiator off, you´ll have to drain the coolant, and so on, and on and on. I left the broken sensor in there...

·
Registered
6 Posts
bmsnu, I bought mine at Don and Roys. They were several hundred less than anywhere else (Port Yamaha included) and I was able to buy the bike for $7900 and received the first one!! Gee, I need lots of things like all the carbon fiber accessories and the lower fairing, lower bar mounts.....

·
My next race bike !
53 Posts
SORRY BOUT THAT THE LAST ONE I TOOK OUT WAS ON UP SIDE MOTOR , I WOULD HAVE PERSONALY JUST PULLED THE BOLT FOR THE RAD TO GIVE MY SELF THE ROOM TO PULL THE HEADERS OFF. I HAVN'T FOUND ANYTHING YET TO SAY THEY HAVE A MAJOR PROB. BUT I'LL KEEP LOOKING. HEY BJR888 STOP IN WE'LL SEE WHAT WE CAN SET UP FOR YOU

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a thought guys about your oil light coming on then going off.
My R1 was doing it for about 12 months and I thought it was that the oil just needed topping up.
It is a race bike and I do frequently change the oil and filter.
One race weekend, the bike lost power completely and started to rattle like crazy. I needed a full engine strip down to replace the crank, con rods and bearings. It appeared that the oil/coolant pump had stopped working and I hadn't realised it, thus starving the engine of oil.
The cause of the oil pump stopping was the brass gauze filter had split away and a small fragment of something had jammed itself between the pump rotor and housing stopping it from turning.
From now on, I look at the inspection glass to make sure the oil is moving about. Unfortunatley with the R1, there is no oil pressure guage.

Food for thought guys....

·
Has anyone seen my ratchet?
25,747 Posts
The older models especially the 00 - 01, need a little extra oil if they are ridden hard, wheelied, or stoppied. The snesors rarely go bad, but the amount of extra oil needed to control the problem seems to vary from bike to bike and for each rider. When I rode the 00 it need about 1/4 of a quart or so extra :yesnod Now that the wife ride the 00, it needs just a an ounce or two.

If you are having this problem, add an extra 2 ounces or so at a time, until you determine how much extra you need to solve the problem. It is an easy fix.

edit:
If you are adding extra oil and the light still stays on, then obvioulsy you need to look into a faulty light, or another true problem, but everyone I know with an older R1 needed to added extra oil :fact

1 - 18 of 18 Posts