Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
wheelie machine
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it was a nice 38 degrees up here in Wisconsin and I took the ol R1 out for the first trip of the year. Man did I miss riding that thing!!!

After about ten minutes of riding the oil light came on and went off after about 30 seconds. It happened a few times last year toward the end of the year even after I changed the oil. On level ground the oil is almost to the top of the sight plug so it's not low. Does anyone have a clue on what the problems it? Do R1's have any sort of oil pump problems?

·
Bulldogger
5,874 Posts
:dunno Bizzare. Mine only tends to have that problem when the oil gets a tad low. However, if your near the top of the sight glass, I probably wouldn't add much more. Anyone??

·
MY Bike Blows Me
126 Posts
ITS NOT AN OIL PUMP PROBLEM ITS THE OIL LEVEL LITE AND MINE DOSE THE SAME WHEN IT VERY HOT OUT THE SENSOR IS WHATS BAD BUT DONT WORRIE ABOUT IT IF YOU REV THE ENGINE REAL HIGH OR TURN OFF THE KEY AND TURN IT BACK ON IT WILL RESET

·
MY Bike Blows Me
126 Posts
I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE O4 R1 BUT THE PAST YEARS YOU SHOULD OVER FILL THEM BY 1/2 QT THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM IN THERE FOR 5 QTS OF OIL AND IT WILL NEVER TOUCH THE CRANK BY OVERFILLING

·
wheelie machine
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll add a touch more oil and leave it at that. If it's just a sensor problem I am not worried about it. I was just hoping that it wasn't a pump or a bearing clearance problem. Thanks a lot bro's

·
wheelie machine
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after changing the oil three quarts of oil will fill the site plug to the top on level ground. I put four in it and the oil light hasn't been on since. Yes.....the ground is level.

bigdawg

·
Registered
310 Posts
This has been an issue with all R1's since 1998. The oil level/light is just a little overly sensitive. Keep it filled to the top part of the glass and don't worry about the light if it comes on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts