Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 R1 that I just bought used a few weeks ago. Problem is, the oil light keeps coming on even though the oil level is normal. I talked to the guy I bought it from and he said that he took it in and they found nothing wrong with it. It'll come on sometimes when I first get on it, but will not usually come on once its warmed up beyond about 150 degrees.

Is this a common problem with these R1s? Anything I can check myself? Seems a bit unusual...

Also, does anyone have the torque spec for the top triple-clamp not on a 2001 R1? Gotta install my Scotts damper. :)

Thanks in advance,
Aa.

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,671 Posts
I've heard it's a common problem. The position of the float that measures oil level when you're running is off.
As for the torque for your triples, go to: http://www.speedmadness.com/InstrDown.html

Select the R1 shop manual and look it up.

·
Natural born looooooser
51 Posts
Yepp - Have that problem on my -00 bike too. It never happened on my old -99 so I asked the people that does the service on my bike and they said that they whould replace the oil...ehhh....meassure thingy (Hey - I´m swedish-can´t know the name of every single part on a bike....)since it was broken.

Don´t feel too alarmed though cause all it does is meassure the level of the oil - not the preassure so if you´ve checked the level you´re fine....

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
What you are trying to say is the oil level sensor,but that is not important we knew what you meant...hey everyone can't talk like a Texan. Put 1 or 2 ounces of oil over the full mark and that should stop it and it will not harm the motor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts