Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi 120,

Thanks for your speedy replies, it 5.00am here, you can tell what’s affecting my sleep lol.. just really worried!!!

so I will follow the first paragraph to the letter in that exact order, thank you, it helps that I’ve got a plan now and I can reach each step rather than my mind running away with itself, because I now in my own mind know the valve clearance and leak down test are massive steps as to what direction I need to go in..

One more thing 120, I’m sorry because I’m draining all you expertise and experience, I stumbled across a thread on cracked heads or liners as they was described as, how common is that on the r1 of my vintage And following your instructions I guess that would be a possibility after a failed leak down test ?

kind regards

Jonny

·
Registered
472 Posts
Don't sweat it bud, you're not costing me nothing and I'm glad to help. Also, don't lose sleep over her, she's just a bike. Anything wrong with her can be mended.

Having a plan is important when attacking a problem. The steps that I've put in front of you are the ones I would take if I were wearing your shoes. They will tell you a lot about the engie.

If the gaskets were blown or the head was cracked you'd probably know by now. A leak down test will put that question to bed though. The results will tell you what path to turn down.

Good luck bud, and no worries.

Oh, and merry Christmas and such.

Also, you can call me numbers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Don't sweat it bud, you're not costing me nothing and I'm glad to help. Also, don't lose sleep over her, she's just a bike. Anything wrong with her can be mended.

Having a plan is important when attacking a problem. The steps that I've put in front of you are the ones I would take if I were wearing your shoes. They will tell you a lot about the engie.

If the gaskets were blown or the head was cracked you'd probably know by now. A leak down test will put that question to bed though. The results will tell you what path to turn down.

Good luck bud, and no worries.

Oh, and merry Christmas and such.

Also, you can call me numbers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
cheers Numbers!!

Merry Xmas to you too !!

I can get it booked this side of the new year it’s going be January at some point can Idrop a message on this thread to let you know the outcome??

kind regards

Jonny

·
Registered
212 Posts
Jonnys bike ran good, then was stored for a long period, and subsequently ran rough upon startup Check.
jonny has the carbs cleaned and reinstalled and now cylinder number one seems to misfire causing its spark plug to be wet. Check.
this wetness (I suspect) is NOT oil and can easily be verified by wiping the wet drop on his finger and smelling it. Would smell like fuel. Or, rubbing his fingers together and it would be slippery if it were oil. Check. It is unburnt fuel I think we can safely saY.

jonny should take his bike back apart Far enough to verify the reassembly Of the carburetors and coil packs. Something is amiss here and could be as simple as a stuck float in number one? My mind and thoughts would focus on the workmanship and reassembly of the carb assembly

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,359 Posts
Jonnys bike ran good, then was stored for a long period, and subsequently ran rough upon startup Check.
jonny has the carbs cleaned and reinstalled and now cylinder number one seems to misfire causing its spark plug to be wet. Check.
this wetness (I suspect) is NOT oil and can easily be verified by wiping the wet drop on his finger and smelling it. Would smell like fuel. Or, rubbing his fingers together and it would be slippery if it were oil. Check. It is unburnt fuel I think we can safely saY.

jonny should take his bike back apart Far enough to verify the reassembly Of the carburetors and coil packs. Something is amiss here and could be as simple as a stuck float in number one? My mind and thoughts would focus on the workmanship and reassembly of the carb assembly
My thought exactly, there should be no need for compression test or valves adjusted the bike has 7,000 miles on it. With the mileage this low I definitely suspect a carb issue. And don’t let the guys who worked on it before do it again. They obviously did not get it running right. Once the carbs are confirmed good to go by someone who knows what he is doing then it will most likely be fine. If not only then would I start to look into some of the other things mentioned. If you have been riding it around on 3 cylinders there’s probably a bit of fuel in that oil. I’d change it again as well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
With 7,000 miles, I'd compression test the rings if it were mine. I'd also be concerned about the valve seats. And I'd clean the rust out of the tank. That's just me though I guess.

(Also worth mentioning checking the lash will verify timing and let you know if the tensioner is seized or broken)

The major problem is probably that it's running rich.

I get what you are saying, but, I'm pretty sure you can see my point of view.

Low milage on an old bike doesn't mean everything is good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hope everyone one is staying safe, just to let you guys know that she’s booked in at dynotech in Basingstoke tomorrow... very anxious!!! Will let you know

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hope everyone one is staying safe, just to let you guys know that she’s booked in at dynotech in Basingstoke tomorrow... very anxious!!! Will let you know
Good Luck Matey! Be keen to red what they say/do.
Yr in basingstoke, Im in Kent- we are snowed over here still and getting the R1 out! I did start it up 2 weeks ago, but motorbikes will stay put for a few months more- respecting lockdown and my health!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Good Luck Matey! Be keen to red what they say/do.
Yr in basingstoke, Im in Kent- we are snowed over here still and getting the R1 out! I did start it up 2 weeks ago, but motorbikes will stay put for a few months more- respecting lockdown and my health!
Good Evening Mr M,
it’s been fine down here in Hampshire just a light dusting. I did think about waiting till the lockdown ends but a lot of bike repairers and operating in a COVID safe manner

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Good Evening Mr M,
it’s been fine down here in Hampshire just a light dusting. I did think about waiting till the lockdown ends but a lot of bike repairers and operating in a COVID safe manner
I’m not sure what happened then, but I’ll keep you informed, I’m expecting the worse

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi everyone,

So she is back from dynotech in Basingstoke.. Top guys !!
Right ok.. she’s running on all 4 cylinders 🎉
The leak down test came good and the compression on 3 cylinders was 190 and 200 on cylinder 4.. that was a relief
The valve check wasn’t what I expected.. cylinder one was below spec and so was two now they are all at 16, he kindly gave me the diagram if you would like to see ?
So a really good shout because he said that these engines can be prone to tightening up causing bent valves !! and I suppose for me it’s peace of mind and one less job to do
The carbs was the issue!!! So to anyone considering a sonic clean, make sure they remove the float bowl covers and pilots etc otherwise the fluid can’t do it’s job more importantly it will save you money by doing it the once, pilots were badly gunked up and air jet in the base of the carb was also blocked and he did the o rings as well he also mentioned the float height was out on carb one so another explanation as to why it was running rich and fouling the plugs and giving the oily look on the tips of plugs... not oil as i thought and.. thank you !!
So on to the dyno he set the carbs up and it recorded 138.3 Bhp at the wheel which is about right he said??
Now she runs like a dream!! it’s such a relief because I’m sure like everyone one of my brothers on here.. having a bike that’s not running right is a major buzz kill
So big thanks to Numbers and Pat m and anyone who took the time to reply and more importantly it concludes the the thread because there are a lot on here that have reached haven’t been finalised..

Jonny5jj

·
Registered
472 Posts
I knew that was what she needed. I know others said not to check the lash, but, it needed to be done. A slight correction though, a tight valve will roast a seat, not bend it. Valves typically bend when the contact the piston. This is usually indicative of a timing issue or a stuck shim bucket. Other than that, everything sounds good. You could stand to do some jetting and there is room for improvement in the motor, but stock, that sounds pretty darn good. If it were mine I'd ride it like I stole it for a couple hundred miles and inspect my oil. That's because I'm paranoid though.

Edit: I wrote rods instead of valves? Seriously? I apologize. I might be contracting the dumb.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I knew that was what she needed. I know others said not to check the lash, but, it needed to be done. A slight correction though, a tight valve will roast a seat, not bend it. Rods typically bend when the contact the piston. This is usually indicative of a timing issue or a stuck shim bucket. Other than that, everything sounds good. You could stand to do some jetting and there is room for improvement in the motor, but stock, that sounds pretty darn good. If it were mine I'd ride it like I stole it for a couple hundred miles and inspect my oil. That's because I'm paranoid though.
Hi numbers,
I forgot the the exhaust shims, they exchanged them whilst they was in there
Regarding riding like Rossi and checking the oil ( sorry for the daft questions ) why us that?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi everyone,

So she is back from dynotech in Basingstoke.. Top guys !!
Right ok.. she’s running on all 4 cylinders 🎉
The leak down test came good and the compression on 3 cylinders was 190 and 200 on cylinder 4.. that was a relief
The valve check wasn’t what I expected.. cylinder one was below spec and so was two now they are all at 16, he kindly gave me the diagram if you would like to see ?
So a really good shout because he said that these engines can be prone to tightening up causing bent valves !! and I suppose for me it’s peace of mind and one less job to do
The carbs was the issue!!! So to anyone considering a sonic clean, make sure they remove the float bowl covers and pilots etc otherwise the fluid can’t do it’s job more importantly it will save you money by doing it the once, pilots were badly gunked up and air jet in the base of the carb was also blocked and he did the o rings as well he also mentioned the float height was out on carb one so another explanation as to why it was running rich and fouling the plugs and giving the oily look on the tips of plugs... not oil as i thought and.. thank you !!
So on to the dyno he set the carbs up and it recorded 138.3 Bhp at the wheel which is about right he said??
Now she runs like a dream!! it’s such a relief because I’m sure like everyone one of my brothers on here.. having a bike that’s not running right is a major buzz kill
So big thanks to Numbers and Pat m and anyone who took the time to reply and more importantly it concludes the the thread because there are a lot on here that have reached haven’t been finalised..

Jonny5jj
Brilliant news Jonny and right in time for riding , hopefully after Easter. I fired my up a few weeks agao, just to keep the oil circulating. I always miss the kick-start, because they were good to just rotae the engine after a winter layup- not that I did much laying up in those days, as only had one bike and needed it to get to work!
I stripped/cleaned my carbs a few years back and overcame some problems, but created others- i ended up buying a spare set for £100 and dropped the floats, repalced the seals, blew out the mains and pilots- and put them on. pefect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Brilliant news Jonny and right in time for riding , hopefully after Easter. I fired my up a few weeks agao, just to keep the oil circulating. I always miss the kick-start, because they were good to just rotae the engine after a winter layup- not that I did much laying up in those days, as only had one bike and needed it to get to work!
I stripped/cleaned my carbs a few years back and overcame some problems, but created others- i ended up buying a spare set for £100 and dropped the floats, repalced the seals, blew out the mains and pilots- and put them on. pefect.
Thanks Pat, just one more question.. what’s your thoughts on the new fuel situation on the horizon e10 etc

Hi numbers,
Regarding riding like Rossi and checking the oil ( sorry for the daft questions ) why us that?
Sorry

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks Pat, just one more question.. what’s your thoughts on the new fuel situation on the horizon e10 etc

Sorry
Jonny, not given it a 2nd thought! I have same fuel in my that i put in last summer and in my car- same diesel I put in last January 2020! (ok, RRS's do have a big tank!) With lockdown and shielding, Ive been nowhere. Sad old sod, but Ive had to p[ay by the rules. Normaly, my sister-in-law organises some runs out down to Rye or Sevenoaks, but the social distancing thing...it just didnt happen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Jonny, not given it a 2nd thought! I have same fuel in my that i put in last summer and in my car- same diesel I put in last January 2020! (ok, RRS's do have a big tank!) With lockdown and shielding, Ive been nowhere. Sad old sod, but Ive had to p[ay by the rules. Normaly, my sister-in-law organises some runs out down to Rye or Sevenoaks, but the social distancing thing...it just didnt happen.
It’s better to stay safe Pat.. hopefully we the lockdown will be over and done with and we can get some normality back.. ride outs in the summer nothing finer
Stay safe Mr M and thanks for your support and expertise 👍

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi numbers,
Well #5, four reasons. One, to get any accumulation out of the case and into a pan, to get the clutch material you are going to shed out, to inspect the oil for metal (the kind from the bearings and whatnot) and to get some fresh oil in her.

Don't ride like rossi though, ride like Kevin Schwantz, Randy Mamola, Wayne Gardner or Wayne Rainey. Kenny Roberts is also an option, but you'll look silly if you duck tape hockey pucks to your knees, he gets a pass because he started the whole thing.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts