Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard some noise in my clutch case. so i took off my clutch cover and spun it a couple times. I can hear something clicking. The chain that spins the oil pump from the clutch seems kinda loose.

can this be tightened up?
I dont see anything to tighten it.

·
Banned
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the noise might be the rod bearing, but i can hear the noise directly behind the clutch casing. Its a pain to pull the bolt off the clutch basket. I have to jam a huge rod into the back wheel to stop it from spinning. i hope i dont break the rim when i use my impact wrench. (thats how tight it is!)

·
I'm slow,but i may not be last
132 Posts
when idling in neutral there's always a ticking sound for my previous 04 and 07 models. can it be solved? i knoe it can be adjusted but after a few thousands km, the sound is bac yet again. Any permanent solution?

·
Banned
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am guessing it is my rod bearings. I am not sure. There was another 00 r1 here that had a bad running gear that made this noise. This is a very loud noise that makes alot of clatter. I dont want to put a ton of time into this fix. I might buy another block. I checked all the valve clearances and they are within spec now. They were way off a week ago. Intake was 8mm and exhaust was 10mm all the way across the cams

·
My R1 used to eat me!!
313 Posts
Has this just happened since you have done the valve clearances?
Maybe it is your cct not installed properly!!!

·
Yamaman
20 Posts
Tends to happen if you wheelie alot, clutching it up, and thrash the crap out of it all the time (thats what happened to mine), normaly on older machines, can make it shudder when you pull away also.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Damn I just took my clutch basket off and there isnt a spring. Maybe this is why I just found out that my clutch basket is rubbing the engine casing internally. Any recommendations??

·
Yamaman
20 Posts
clutch springs (shock load)

Here is a pic of the back of one of my 2000 model clutch baskets with the starter clutch removed, see the six springs, normally with paint on. these are retained by 3 rivets, so not very user serviceable. They're normally a tight fit,, if not they jangle and rattle, strangely it throws the noise out the left side of the engine?!

You sure the baskets hitting something? they have pretty rough flashing removal marks in the basket castings. Was the nut loose? Did it have the big fat washer in between the inner hub and outer basket?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The springs in mine are very loose. They jangle when you shake the basket. With the nut and the fat washer on there I was able to shake the clutch basket once the clutch plates and steels were out. This seemed odd to me. Check out my Thread with the pics. Its labeled serious clutch problem. I also found metal shavings in the oil, and two slivers that were large in the pic up screen for the oil. Has me really worried. I dont think the engine is harmed because I caught it quick. But there is an obvious groove in the motor block from the basket. I dont understand how this is even possible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.