can use car oil, but make sure it does not say enegry conserving
anywhere on the package. Sportrider Magazine just did a two
part story on the topic over the last few months. A good car oil
choice is Mobil One Syn 15w50. Remember, the more molly a oil
has it will make your clutch slip.

·
Track Junkie
4,774 Posts
I use Mobil One Syn 15w50 and have had no problems at all.

·
Made You Look !
667 Posts
:iamwithst

That "motorcycle oil" is just a play for money. As already stated, as long as it is not "energy conserving" you are fine. the mobile 15-50 is good sutff :rock

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
Rwon said:
Does anyone put regular car motor oil in their bike?
Yes, some people do. I'm not one of them.

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
Clay said:
NO... Regular car oil is not designed to work for a motorcycles wet clutch..
Let me say, I have 2 left hands, so please forgive me if I sound totally stupid...

But, how would motor oil affect the clutch of a bike? I would assume it is similar to an Car Engine and Transmission, both are different "parts" and do not share "oil" and stuff like that. :confused:

·
Motorcycle junky
210 Posts
extrakt0r said:
Let me say, I have 2 left hands, so please forgive me if I sound totally stupid...

But, how would motor oil affect the clutch of a bike? I would assume it is similar to an Car Engine and Transmission, both are different "parts" and do not share "oil" and stuff like that. :confused:
Mobil one synth is O.K. for bikes.. but regular car engine oils are not. A motorcycle engine shares the oil to all working parts of a bike. Clutch, trans, engine etc. Car engine oil is for a car engine. A cars clutch is also DRY friction. The trans fluid in a car trans is for gears, not the clutch. Putting regular car oil in a bike can cause the clutch to slip. There are many good articles on the subject if you look hard enough. Castrol syntec is also O.K. to use, but is not a true synth oil. Its a blend. Stick with a good quality motorcycle synth oil like MOTUL, Golden Spectro, etc.

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
extrakt0r said:

a bikes clutch is inside the transmission and shares the same oil and the clutch is wet (oil) soaked.

a cars clutch is seperated from the transmission by a flywheel and typically are dry (no oil in contact with clutch)

by the way I use a brand of autozone oil. the have it in a big black tank in the back. says USED on the side...:crash

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
Clay said:
Mobil one synth is O.K. for bikes.. but regular car engine oils are not. A motorcycle engine shares the oil to all working parts of a bike. Clutch, trans, engine etc. Car engine oil is for a car engine. A cars clutch is also DRY friction. The trans fluid in a car trans is for gears, not the clutch. Putting regular car oil in a bike can cause the clutch to slip. There are many good articles on the subject if you look hard enough. Castrol syntec is also O.K. to use, but is not a true synth oil. Its a blend. Stick with a good quality motorcycle synth oil like MOTUL, Golden Spectro, etc.

It sure does sound weird to me, but like I said I have two left hands....And being the wuss that I am, I have always taken all my vehicles to dealerships, even for oil changes. They do, I don't ask. ;)

·