Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might have been discussed before, so sorry if it was, but what do you guys recommend for oil weight. I am picking up my bike tommorrow and hopefully will put over 100 miles on it. I want to change my oil after this and will buy some YamaLube oil and would like to know if I should go with 20/50 or 10/40. I believe the manual says either/or so am just curious what you guys use. I usually base it on weather, summer time 20/50 for heat and winter 10/40 for cold, but am curious what you guys use and if it makes a differance while breaking in the bike. Thanks in advance.:thumbup

·
Registered
274 Posts
Personally I would stick with 10-40w. Particularly during break-in. Your new engine will be on the tight side and until it is properly broken-in, will not run to its potential. Also, have you ever noticed the viscosity of "break-in" oil in many new engines? It tends to be quite lite. I would be curious to see what Yamaha uses for new factory fill. Good idea to change oil early & often on new engine. I did my first oil change at 30 miles and was amazed at the quantity of particulate matter that drained from the crankcase.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*Bump*
Thanks LarsR1. That is probally what I will do, just curious to see what others are doing. Anybody else??

·
392 Posts
I used this for the first 9500kms(6000miles)

Motul 3000+ 10W40 mineral based oil. Don't use synthetic or semi-synthetic oils during the break-in period. Now with 9500kms on the odometer I will be switching to semi-synthetic, Motul 5100 10W50.
I agree, change the oil often. I changed it every 1500miles. Not necessary but gives me peace of mind.

Motul 3000+ 10W40(mineral based oil)

·
shoots! scores!!
1,217 Posts
yamaha puts yamalube 10w30 in all their sport bikes.

·
MY Bike Blows Me
126 Posts
Yamalube foams to bad i use amsoil 20 50 full syn. and i have 20,000 miles on a set of clutches that have not been treated nice and they are still good

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vile said:
yamaha puts yamalube 10w30 in all their sport bikes.
Your right. I got my number mixed up in my original post, 10w30 and 20w40. Ask the service department today and they said go with 10w30.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts