Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey at all...
I have an 2000 R1 and i am replacing the whole clutch.
So, i took off the clutch basket and behind it, is a sprocket and a little tiny chain for the oil and water pump. This chain is so losse, i cant find anything in the shop manual for adjustment or replacement.
Does anybody know, what the slack rating is?

Thanks for help

·
u where flyin when i passed u
48 Posts
i have a 2000 r1 , and looked at mine, it too seemed loose, there is no tensioner here, can you squeeze the chain together so that it touches? then you need to replace the chain and spocket this will be under 100.00 but the specs are= inner rotor to outer rotor tip clearance= 0.09~0.15mm or 0.004~0.006in. outer rotor to oil pump housing clearance= 0.03~0.08mm or 0.001~0.003in you can confirm this infor with yamaha, but will not find it in the manual. replace it!

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
chains do have quiet bit of slack. why they have guide that keeps them from slapping around too much. but chain should not be able to touch if ur squeeze them 2gether. if ur concerned..just replace it.

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
mine was loose too , i replaced it with a used one from a low km motor and it got better a bit , but still looks loose.
if u're gonna replace it , i think u should replace the sprockets also.

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
that chain is meant to be that loose, really do not worry about it.

it has a nice cush life getting bathed in oil all day :)

First time I saw mine I was like WTF? But thats the way it was designeed to be.

·
u where flyin when i passed u
48 Posts
loose oil pump drive chain

just replace the chain, or check it very often, by checking oil level before starting bike, then checking oil level while bike is running, to insure pump is pumping oil out of pan. just thinking out loud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.