Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, did a search and got nothing....

Here's the situation. I'm changing my plugs. THe last one I'm working on is the #4 I believe, the one on the right side. There is something down in the hole that wont let me get my wrench on the socket to take the plug out. I've looked in there with a mirror and its small, and only takes up maybe 1/4 inch of space on one side of the plug, and it is only about 1/4 inch tall. Its small, but is in the way. Its not metallic, a magnetic retriever wont work. I have no idea how it got in there, but thats not the issue now.

I've tried everything guys. 4 hours today spent on trying to get it out. DO you know how frustrating that can be????? Here's the catch. Those of you that have changed your plugs know this. The #4 isnt as bad as the #1 plug but its still almost under the frame, so you cant see directly down into it. Thats why I had to use a mirror. Also, this prevents long tools from being used because you only have about 6 inches of play above the hole to work with...

I've tried:
1-long screwdrivers
2-long screwdrivers with sticky stuff on the end
3-homemade long tweezers made out of a hanger
4-a vacuum cleaner with a hose
5-a pick much like a dentist would use
6-needle nose pliers

I'm really at a loss here. If I cant get it worked out I guess I'll just have 3 good plugs and one old one:rant Oh yea, and if you are using the mirror to look down in there, of course your hand blocks your view when working so its no good.:cryin

Any thoughts here?

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
clothshanger with bubblicious gum on the end.........this stuff is so stickey it wont come off the hanger but mingt pick up the piece....

also maybe rig a small vacume line hooked up to a shope vac.

·
Track Junkie
4,774 Posts
Air compressor....maybe if you blow some air in there it will 'free' up what ever it is that is obstructing the plug. It's a long shot...but who knows.:dunno

·
Can i bum $1
884 Posts
some C4 explosives. Man I've got to change my plugs shortly I hope I don't run into this. I get frustrated really easily sometimes.

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm, I like the air compressor gig. Never thought of it. The bubble gum? Wont that get caught in the cylinder?

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
is the spark plug OUT????

is it loose?????

you dont use a whole pack just a little glob to cover the end of the hanger......

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, spark plug is still tight. Whatever it is its preventing the socket from connecting with the nut on the plug. I dont want to pull the plug anyways for fear of that falling down into the hole farther.

I'll give it a shot

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
Maybe fill the plug hole up with water......if its non ferrous metal it should flot to the top......then just blow the water out with an air gun.

·
My R1 eats out women
125 Posts
pebbles

I've had a few pebbles in there too. You are always supposed to blow out the holes before removing spark plugs anyway.

·
DAMNED HELICOPTERS !!!
411 Posts
Re: pebbles

emcmanus said:
I've had a few pebbles in there too. You are always supposed to blow out the holes before removing spark plugs anyway.
Thought this was common knowledge.

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: pebbles

REDY2K1R1 said:
Thought this was common knowledge.
:bow
maybe Albert Einstein thought that the theory of relativity was common knowledge as well, but we all know its not:sneaky

Oh yea, some of us dont have air compressors handy in our garages either;) Thanks for the tips though

·
DAMN YOU SHANE
14,362 Posts
tom is right htat is what i would have said get them at autozone or my job advance auto

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nice, I'll have to check into that too

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
its probably a small stone (rock) with tar on it. start the engine up minus panels etc so the stone isnt stuck to the engine and try compressed air to dislodge it.

·
DAMNED HELICOPTERS !!!
411 Posts
Re: Re: Re: pebbles

KneeDragger77 said:
:bow
maybe Albert Einstein thought that the theory of relativity was common knowledge as well, but we all know its not:sneaky

Oh yea, some of us dont have air compressors handy in our garages either;) Thanks for the tips though
SORRY K.D. didn"t mean to sound like an arsehole,just adding my ten penneth,seems to me that you"ve tried pretty much everything mate,all i can add is that if you "set-up" a mirror with a light pointed at the mirror and "bouncing" onto the plug hole [hands free] then get yourself a stool or something and only when you are nice and comfy,persevere with your hanger with a nice short 90 gegree bend and work at it, GOOD LUCK MATE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts