Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first r1 and a new bike and sorry if this question comes as a noob question. I recently ordered an exhaust, and it came sooner than expected. Just wondering if it is okay for me to put on the exhaust and a tune before my first service? My first bike was a zx6r and when I purchased it, it already came with exhaust so not really sure how to proceed with this one.

·
my genius knows no bounds
547 Posts
short answer; no. if you mean an exhaust that eliminates the cat, you realllllly should get it tuned the same time you put it on. people always throw exhausts on there early but it wont be quite right as the stock maps can only adjust so much.

IMO, dont gamble, you got some race to win this weekend or something? ride the bike normally until break-in is done, change the oil 17 times or so, once or twice be sure to give it the beans so those rings really wear nicely and dont drone on and on putzing around at the same rpm for a while. mix it up, change up and down through the gears during break-in even when gear changes arent necessary. THEN handle the fancy shit afterward.

just like everyone else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
short answer; no. if you mean an exhaust that eliminates the cat, you realllllly should get it tuned the same time you put it on. people always throw exhausts on there early but it wont be quite right as the stock maps can only adjust so much.

IMO, dont gamble, you got some race to win this weekend or something? ride the bike normally until break-in is done, change the oil 17 times or so, once or twice be sure to give it the beans so those rings really wear nicely and dont drone on and on putzing around at the same rpm for a while. mix it up, change up and down through the gears during break-in even when gear changes arent necessary. THEN handle the fancy shit afterward.

just like everyone else.
thank you being honest with me actually. Appreciate it!

·
Venom X/O
26,397 Posts
It shouldn’t be on there without a tune at the same time.
As for break-in, I’ve always gone with the adage of whoever built the motor tells you how to break it in. I work with a race team who puts a freshly built motor in a bike and goes full send next race, but that’s based on our engine builder. The Factory built your engine, I would go with whatever the factory says

1 - 4 of 4 Posts