Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· starting to eat my r1 back
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My situation:
I live right on the beach..no garage..my R1 will be exposed(going to get a cover this weekend)...

I didn't get to ride it at all yesterday becuase it rained..I come out this morning..and the chain is already covered in very light, orange surface rust! In one day!

Aside from keeping it very oiled..any other suggestions on special precautions that I need to take living here?

· Premium Member
34,589 Posts
I am paranoid when I go to Bike Week every year for that reason.... Push it inside ( are you on the ground floor ).

· Mental stability not required
72 Posts
I live on the beach in Florida so all I have to complain about is the salt air rusting my chain.

Must be nice, wish I had that problem.

I spent 2 weeks in FL last NOVEMBER and it was still awesome! I'll trade you the salt air for some snow...

· Registered
778 Posts
Hey Trebs...

Didn't you use to (maybe you still do) post a lot on the cycleworld forum? If it was you I don't think you had an R1 at the time.

I really have not used that forum since last summer. There was just too much flaming and squid stuff their for my liking..

:bs

PS. .quit complaining about Vancouver. It 's nothing compared to Ontario winters!!

· Mental stability not required
72 Posts
Sorry Blue Streak. Wuzn't me. This is the first forum I've ever signed up to. Probably the last. When it gets too hot around here (flaming) I just give it a rest for a while.

Didn't suggest that West Coast winter were anything compared to the East. Hell, I remember a few years back when we were scrambling around trying to send generators to our buddys in Toronto. Can't even imagine what that was like.

Just thinking about Florida. And sunshine. Or better yet, Ocho Rios Jamaica. 11 months ago I was on the beach drinking Appleton rum. Mmmmm. Salt air.

· Registered
363 Posts
Capa said:
Aside from keeping it very oiled..any other suggestions on special precautions that I need to take living here?
Capa, I was in the Navy (they tend to hang around places with salty air ;) ). So, I'm familiar with the effects of salt on motorcycles. :(

It would help to wash or at least rinse the salt off the bike on a regular basis. The salt will attack the aluminum, too.

· Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
1,244 Posts
Trebs,

Man, your girly icon is killing me:boobies. I try to read the post but somehow get distracted when she flashes me! Execellent, i love it man:thumbup
God, R1s, and pretty women:D

· starting to eat my r1 back
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SpidermanSS said:
I am paranoid when I go to Bike Week every year for that reason.... Push it inside ( are you on the ground floor ).
It's two story..and there is a step up to get in, and no where to put it(you walk right into the stairway basically).

Guess I'll just keep it covered and clean the chain every couple of days.

· ÆNIMA
200 Posts
Do you have any space outside to put up a semi-portable storage shed? You can get 'em for a decent price, and to protect an expensive piece of riding equipment like the R1, it's worth it. Plus helps keep the bike thieves away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.