Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to get my old 98 4xv bike back off a friend who stored it for over 10 years. I wish to conclude what I started. It's got carbon bits, velocity stacks, dyno and stubby can and I wanted an air ran box, triptronic shift and a slipper clutch.

So hello and hello if we messaged all those years ago.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
312 Posts
This article takes an in-depth look at ‘98 R1 vs. newest gen bike…. Some surprising numbers from 0-100…
Thanks for posting that article-very interesting, and confirms what I remember about my 99 (especially the unintentional wheelie parts in first and second) and how it compares to a newer gen R1. No doubt--the new R1's are powerful and brutally fast beasts, most especially on track which is where they were designed to be used. On the street though, where most R1's are used, those original long stroke motors were/are awesome! I would imagine the 02-03 R1's would cut the gaps even more with the taller first gear, fuel injection, higher redline, and better suspension.
I love my 2003 R1 I've had from new--I wish I could "I dream of Jeanie" and blink myself a new one!

·
Horsepower whisperer
2022 Yamaha YZF-R1 60th WGP Anniversary Edition
1,825 Posts
Thanks for posting that article-very interesting, and confirms what I remember about my 99 (especially the unintentional wheelie parts in first and second) and how it compares to a newer gen R1. No doubt--the new R1's are powerful and brutally fast beasts, most especially on track which is where they were designed to be used. On the street though, where most R1's are used, those original long stroke motors were/are awesome! I would imagine the 02-03 R1's would cut the gaps even more with the taller first gear, fuel injection, higher redline, and better suspension.
I love my 2003 R1 I've had from new--I wish I could "I dream of Jeanie" and blink myself a new one!
I have had several '02/'03 R1s over the last 2 decades. Love them! The most comfortable of any sport bike I've owned. Plenty of power.

·
Registered
157 Posts
White Hood Motor vehicle Light Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
My old boss had this on display at my old job and one day he says I want you to take the R1 home to run it to clean out the carburetors. It had balanced and blueprint motor falicon crank those bad ass wheels. It was so fast I was telling the guys at work I could not believe the top end how fast 160 170 180 it went. Ok well that got around the shop and the boss comes up and goes I hear you were going 180 on the R1 and I said you told me to clean out the carbs! we laughed and both agreed how amazing that bike was and we each owned 2015 R1 at that point. Amazing machines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts