Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, where to do I start? I've never seen a motorcycle accident before in real life until tonight. While on the way home with my Dad around 2:00am we spotted a shoe on the road. We didn't think much of it, someone must have tossed it out the window? Upon further inspection we saw a motorcycle laying in the road crashed. We stopped the vehicle and saw that two other cars had pulled over and people were hoving around a guy on the ground. The guy turned out to be a 21 year old kid who wrecked his Ninja 500 coming home from the bar. Reason unknown, he claims he was doing 40/45mph and a car cut out in front of him (which does happen at times where the wreck was). One of the girls said she had just passed him and she thought he was doing about 85/90mph. Needless to say apparently he was drinking. The kid was awake but all tore up. It appeared that he had on a jogging suite, no leathers. Both shoes were ripped off including one sock. His foot and leg were both bleeding. It was unreal. :no When the fire rescue team got on the scene they took over. What happened next was something I will never forget. The one gentlemen got the ok to move the bike off to the side of the road. I helped a couple of other guys pick up the broken Ninja from the ground. They were making remarks and giggling about how they couldn't get the bike into neutral because the handle bars were broken off. While we were moving the bike another person was kicking the kids shoes off to the side of the road. Once we got the bike moved another fireman through one of the kids shoes next to the bike and said to put it under it so the bike wouldn't get scratched. I couldn't believe I was hearing this. I thought to myself, what if this was me? It would piss me off to no extent if I knew they were talking about me and my bike like that. It was uncalled for. We took off the seat looking for the registration to get some information. His temp. registration card was dated to expire tomorrow, which means he only have the bike for 29 days. Hopefully he will be alright. He didn't look to bad all things considered. What a scarry scene.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,889 Posts
I am sorry the guy wrecked but in all honesty he was a complete ass for riding while drinking,I know it may seem I am being an asshole but I have no sympathy for people who do that and with no gear on at that. Again I am sorry to hear about the wreck

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
The kid have learnt his leason .. and I'm pretty sure he will not ride like that again. :rolleyes:

I myself after my rather.. stupid wobble and crash @ 100mph have made me much more aware of that my life can be turned off quite fast.

But I on the other hand had FULL leather gear on.. from top to toe. But the boots I had wasn't of the best quality so brute force to left and right would twist my feets badly.. and so they were.. couldn't walk at all for 3 weeks. Apart from that I was perfectly ok.. not even sore. So WEAR YOUR GEAR!

This guy will be hurting a lot for the next few days...

but seeing he did not wear ANY protection and had been drinking I think he has noone else to blame than himself..

LtdR1Ryder.. wasn't the fireman nice when he said he wanted to toss a shoe under the bike so that it wouldn't get even more scratched?

·
Forum chick
344 Posts
It was uncalled for, LtdR1Ryder. :( There was a injured and scared kid there. They should be treated with compassion and concern on the scene of an accident, just the way that you and your Dad did. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior from anyone.
I agree with you, Twisted Logic, about him being an ASS for drinking and driving. Hopefully he will be thinking about that for a looooong time and it'll never happen again. Here in Kentucky there are so damn lenient on DUI's that people have to get 2 or 3 of them before they ever spend any jail time, and then you usually end up with some kind of house arrest, being allowed to still drive to work and have a small amount of freedom. I won't get out and drive on a weekend night because of all the drunks on the road. Cars, not so much bikes.

·
Road Warrior
720 Posts
I had a similar experience this summer. Myself and three other riders came upon an bike accident. Unfortunately some passer-bys were unwrapping the motorcyclist from a guardrail post. It was a single vehicle accident in good weather on a good road with moderate traffic - not obvious what caused the crash, but the results were. Bike in the middle of the road and one less rider. The feeling among the four of us for the rest of the ride was of riding in silence, if that makes sense. It put things in a sharper perspective, the consequences of a bad ride(for whatever reason) are much more clear now:(

·
Registered
148 Posts
never ever ever drink and ride I saw a friend of mine get bothe his thumbs ripped of and his balls literally and I do mean literally smashed in a high speed drunk collision :bash

·
Oh Canabis
272 Posts
Typical squid, he just learned something that he will never forget, "tarmak is a very gritty sandpaper". Try to wear gear as much as you can people, there are two kinds of riders out there, the ones that have gone down and the ones that will eventually.

We push these machines on a daily basis and one day it will bite us in the ass. THat's when you'll want to be wearing goog gear instead of having that nice loud pipe.

·
one liter asphalt eater
111 Posts
DRUNK ASS MOFO

Everybody knows that people make mistakes, and once can be forgiven. Fortunately the kid only screwed up and injured himself, instead of others.

I have one pending question though. Where were his friends ? I rather doubt he was drinking alone. His friends should have at least made an attempt to stop him. Everybody knows that even when people say "I'm okay, dont worry" that they have already had too much to drink. His friends deserve a slap in the head as much as this rider.

If any of us on the forum get together for a big R1 party, I'll be the first to lock the keys up in a safe, just to be sure we wont lose anyone to the pavement.

Another problem with this scenario is of course, improper gear. I agree 100% with all the previous posts.

as honda saysSTUPID KILLS

Its squids with no gear like that who give us all a bad name.....
Those are my thoughts, I could be wrong:butt

·
one liter asphalt eater
111 Posts
FORGOTTEN

Just so you know, in Alberta, Canada, we have gone to an incredibly strict drinking and driving tolerance level.
If you are caught, automatically you lose your licence for six months, and still may face heavy criminal or civil charges after the fact. Second offence, lose your licence for a full year. After that I believe its automatic two years jail time, but I may be wrong so dont quote me.

Ride safe, drive safe.
I dont wanna go to the morgue to identify any of you.
Take care.
Seasons greetings.

Stay out of the egg nog

·
I gonna miss it........
253 Posts
:eek: I'll through my two cents in because I had my wreck at speed at I'm lucky to be here. After missing an apex and quickly running out of run off area at the exit of a turn on an F3 I had the choice between laying it down in a controlled slide or riding it into a tree. Well I picked the first choice the only problem was I only got it slowed down to around 55 mph before putting it down. Not only was I riding beyond my limits on a dangerous road but I was only wearing jeans, boots, a long-sleeve t-shirt and no gloves. Oh yeah, at least I had a helmet on. After rolling twice and some how ending up on my feet sprinting down the road, I looked down and found all the skin on my left arm and left palm gone. I dislocated my shoulder the first time I rolled and popped it back in the second time around doing some pretty good ligament damage in the process. Four years later the scars are almost gone, I still have trouble gripping certain things with my left hand because of some muscle damage, and the shoulder only allows me to lift 40 lbs. over my head and that is after some rehab. After all that why do I condisider myself lucky. there wasn't a scratch on the helmet and I can still ride. I didn't consider myself a wreckless rider I just wasn't a prepared rider. I will buy the best portective gear, way way before I will go after the best mods for the bike. I know everyobdy has heard these stories, but reminders are nice every once and a while.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,889 Posts
You are absolutely right the best mods will not save your ass in a crash. And as we all know if you ride you either just got out of a wreck or are on the way to one no matter how good you are.

·
Registered
87 Posts
LTDR1RYDER

motorcycle accidents are always tragic . i ve been riding since i was a 14 im 34 years old now. i have had friends crippled and killed on motorcycles.......LOTS. forget how and why it happenes , it just does happen.
helmet, leather,ect. are very helpful to protect us to a certain degree but it doesnt make us indestructable.
rider judgment ,skills ,common sense , and knowing YOUR LIMITS NOT THE MACHINES is more important than any protective gear you may be wearing. any jerkoff with $100 deposit can buy 150hp crotch rocket and accelerate to 180 mph out the dealers door . but if you want to be around for next years superbike you better ride smart.
my opinion and my common sense and my judgement tell me wheelies , stoppies , elbow draggin turns ect. are not for the streets , go to the track or find a place away from traffic to do these circus tricks .
i may not ride like i stole it, but im still alive to ride;)

just the opinion of a guy with 20 years verticle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.