Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
stupid is as stupid does
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody out there rides with only one eye due to an injury or for any other reason. I just lost the use of my right eye and I don't want to give up riding my R1, as soon as I heal up and it gets warmer (PA) I plan on giving it a go. If anyone has any tips or encouraging words, I could sure use them.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am in a similar situation. I lost the sight in my left eye this year (a genetic condition called optic nerve drusen). I have been ridding for about 7 years and don't plan on giving it up, but just adjusting my riding habits. I plan on not riding on the street much ( if ever). I am looking at getting the new zx10 in January and setting it up just for drag racing. I still ride the raptor off road, but let me tell you IT IS A LOT HARDER to do. You will get some of your depth perception back but it takes a while and you have to be very careful of your blindside. All I can say is ultimately it's going to be your choice, but I would seriously consider track days and other activities that limit your road time, because we all know it's dangerous to begin with but now its that much more dangerous.

·
R1 Addiction
16,761 Posts
track wise, I say go for it. Street wise, I say don't do it. The perferial vision is extremely important in avoiding those cars driven by people, who can't drive for crap.

·
Blue, you're my boy!
1,567 Posts
i have never been able to see clearly out of my right eye. my pupil in my right eye is oval shaped so the there is no chance i will ever see clearly out of it. i can close my right eye and my vision is the same. i have no issues with riding or anything for that matter. i do wear glasses for the simple fact that i NEED to protect my good eye.

·
THE MAN
3,750 Posts
Welcome to MY WORLD!!! LOL

I have not had use of my left eye for about 10 years now. It something to get used to for sure...lol

when i first lost my eye I would back into a parking spot till i was sure I would hit something, then i would cut it off and get out only to realize i was 5 foot from hitting anything....lol

I still ride, and am one of the faster guys in my club.

you get used to it. It's a pin in the ass, but if you really want to do something then it will not hold you back :)

It irritates me at the track as I always brake too soon:) But I guess it could be worse, i could be braking too late...lol

·
Insert Witticism Here
654 Posts
I have been blind in my right eye since I was 14, I'm 38 now.

Anything that requires depth perception was difficult at first... I laughed at JAYSTENSEC4CYL backing up story becuase I have done that a million times. Even after 24 years, its still hard to catch a baseball thats moving fast. As someone else mentioned, I always wear glasses for the protection, I tried contacts years ago but it felt like riding with out a helmet. Also, 3D and those stupid pictures you stare at till you see the hidden image dont work on me.

All that beilng said, its really not all that bad... you learn to adapt. I have been riding on the street for 20 years and have never had any problems because of it.

My advice to you would be to take it very slow at first and ALWAYS give your self extra braking distance. Your depth perception WILL be off. Be extra aware of your blind side and always double check crossing traffic at lights and stop signs. Dont listen to people who tell you not to ride on the street anymore, its not even an issue once you've learned to compensate. I have never had a get off on the street, and I am faster down a curvy road than most the people I ride with. Just be careful at first and take it easy till you have adjusted.

Maybe do a track day or two before you sart tearing up the street. It will not only improve your riding skills in gereral, but it is a good safe place to get used to riding and judging distance with one eye.

Be careful till you adjust. Feel free to PM me if you like.

Mike

·
I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,910 Posts
My boss has been riding for his whole life (he's 56 ) with only sight in one eye. It was probably easier starting that way but it proves it does not stop you riding. Like others have said, take it easy early on and work your way back into it.
Good luck and stay safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.