Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BVRBTR
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a search and no threads seem to have a concise discussion about it, but there were mentions of the clutch being done. I'm at 14,000 miles with spirited street riding and track days and both my clutch cable adjustment are all the way extended so I figured the clutch sounds about right. It isn't slipping in higher gears but I do very slightly slip the clutch in lower gears to smooth out power delivery so I expected to shorten clutch life from that style.

When it's cold I can find neutral very easy like normal, but when it's hot it jumps past neutral in to second or past it in to first immediately. It's tricky to go in between. Also when it's cold I can shift through all gears easily but the lever pull gets very firm when it's hot. Mind you it never jumps out of gear and there is no grinding when it goes in gear and it's had no crashes, and I don't stunt but the wheel comes up on corner exits from time to time. stock shifting lever and rearsets.

Does anyone have further insight on what it could be? Parts are already ordered for a new clutch including steels, frictions, springs, y springs for the slipper mechanism, clutch cable, etc. so I'll be tearing it apart within a week.

·
My Bike Before My Wife
793 Posts
did you recently do an oil change if so what oil did you use? A friend of mine used car oil and had the very problem.

·
Registered
190 Posts
sounds like your shift rod is not screwed on correctly or has loosened. I had this problem. Could never get into neutral when the bike was on. Went through every gear fine but could never get into N unless i was lucky. Mess with you Shift rod and that should doit. Fixed my issue.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Worth a check, thanks.
I kinda thought my bike was messed up in a major way but turned out it was the shift rod. Something as simple as that. I just played with it not sure how it should really be but i can shift into neutral pretty easily about 90% of the time now. Wish i knew what i was doing but i got it done good luck

·
BVRBTR
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Overall I'm still fighting the hard to shift in to neutral while hot problem, but I'm convinced it has something to do with my clutch cable and adjustment.

Updates:

New clutch from KG Clutch Factory installed with no issues. Steels and some frictions were fried so it was time. Started her up and rode around the block and right away noticed the difficulty finding neutral still there, but otherwise the new clutch feels like butta. Turned her off and right away was able to find neutral easier.

New clutch cable won't arrive until Fri so I played around with adjustment of old one and finally got the bike to shift more smoothly and find neutral easier but not perfect.

I tried the shift lever adjustment and it looks fine. Everything was tight and adjusted as it should be so I don't think it's that. I could lower it a little for commuting ie tennis shoes use but I tend to leave it setup for riding with boots.

Any more ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Funny you post this - I started having this exact same problem today. Though mine is an '05. Same issue happens only when bike is hot.

Never noticed this at all until today after my test drive after I changed my chain, and also the position of the "bracket" (for lack of a better word) that bolts on to the transmission where the shifter rod connects. I rotated the bracket slightly (1 tooth) to allow the shift pedal to drop a little more than I could get with straight up rod adjustments (rod was as short as I could make it).

After reading this thread I think I'll rotate that bracket back to where it was (I marked it so I know exactly where it was). I have my doubts this will fix anything but based on an above posters feedback - I'll put it back (5 minutes worth of work).

I first noticed this today after a canyon ride. Found it impossible to find neutral while the bike wasnt moving. I also noticed the bike was much much much more resistant to being pushed when in gear and clutch in - teamed with the fact I cant find neutral the clutch is obviously grabbing too much when the clutch lever is all the way in.

Its also near impossible to start because of this clutch friction unless I'm in neutral....

I too have tried adjusting my clutch cable with no luck. I thought maybe the clutch was on its way out - but I havent had a sign of trouble with it until now..... and its not slipping, its quite the oposite!

I'll try putting the bracket for the shift rod back to its normal position tomorrow and take it for another ride and see what happens....

If that doesnt work, I'll try changing the oil (its due anyway)....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I put the bracket back on the shifter rod back to its original position and my problem is solve. I cannot explain why moving it 1 tooth made any difference with clutch drag at all - but it most definitely did. Doesnt make any sense to me, but its happy where its at back to its original position.

·
BVRBTR
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

Problem appears solved.

Old news:

New clutch didn't fix the problem.
Haven't done the oil change yet, but will before she's on the road again.
Nothing appeared worn or damaged on clutch basket and other clutch parts.
Still was having the same hot shifting hard to find neutral problem.

Today:

Clutch cable was changed.

I compared the length of the old with the new and they appeared the same but the sheathing on the old was slid all the way up to the clutch lever whereas on the new it was maybe a foot away from the clutch lever.

Also I completely removed and reinstalled the shifting arm and ball part connected to the motor and reinstalled it as suggested.

Heated up the bike on the stand to 200+ and ran her in 6th gear without throttle the whole time.

No shifting issues whatsoever and easy to find neutral again.

I'll update again once I finish the rest of the maintenance items and road test her. I'm starting to think maybe the old clutch cable was sticking inside since I'd never lubed it and the sheathing was out of place or if maybe removing all the shifting hardware did fix the problem as mentioned above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to dig out old thread.

My 2012 have been having this issue for months now - cannot find neutral.
Engine oil changed, but still the same issue.

Could be the clutch plates or cable.

Any other solution you guys have?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the same problem with my moto yamaha fz8 i will try to change the oil i have now inside motul 10w40 it is semisynthetic and i will try to put 10w40 fullsynthetic from repsol i will come back with news

·
Registered
2 Posts
Prolly shift forks. But maybe not.
I have found the problem....is the oil I had MOTUL 5100 10W40 and it is semisinthetic oil and the motorcycle need fullsinthetic oil because is working on hi revs and the molecules of semisinthetic oil is ripped apart on hi temp and hi revs ....my opinion ...All that have problem with clutch if is not the cable should change the oil and put inside fully sinthetic oil

1 - 19 of 19 Posts