Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized that the bike I just bought does not have the rear "mud-guard" in place.

1.what is the correct name for this unit(the one that is right over the rear tire)

2. how much does it cost to replace?

3. Is it necessary for operation?

00 r1

thanks

·
Fly or ride today??
730 Posts
Dont know what it costs, but I bet many people on here have several of them. Most take them off as it is just a cosmetic thing and adds weight and is ugly. As long as you have a place to put your license plate your fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: oops. My bike is missing something

mkinla said:
No the only thing it does is keep rocks and water out of your suspension and electrics.... You should be fine. Out of curiocity, what does it look like..? :dunno
if you mean what does the bike look like, here it is, but I have taken off all the orange and yellow "ghetto fabulousness"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4583412274&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

as you can see in two pics. The piece is gone. I am happy to hear that it does nothing though as I kind of like how the bike looks without it.

·
Administrator
24,867 Posts
OK... yup... it's the hugger. It's main purpose is to keep dirt, rocks, water, etc etc. out of your shock. Best to have one. :yesnod

·
My R1 eats gixxers
866 Posts
Re: Re: oops. My bike is missing something

mkinla said:
No the only thing it does is keep rocks and water out of your suspension and electrics.... You should be fine. Out of curiocity, what does it look like..? :dunno
if you want i can send you a few pics of mine without it...PM me and LMK...

EDIT: woops had a few:beer didnt see he was talking about an 00

·
R190-`Tyre Fryer`
2,683 Posts
i have put about 20000km on bikes with removed huggers and never noticed any problems

oh cept for one thing, on some bikes not too sure about yours the electrics can get exposed to water spray off the tyre in the wet.. if thats the case then you will need to seal them somehow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.