Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The exhaust on my trusty old 87 FZR1000 has finally called it quits, after 17 years of service. It's cracked almost all the way around at the collector area.

I can possibly have a muffler shop weld it, but I'll probably need a new system.

Not in the mood to pay the $$ for a new OEM system for a bike that's this old, with the 04 R1 on the way.

There are not a lot of systems available for this bike. I found one by V&H, called the "Supersport" http://www.vanceandhines.com/pages/SSuperS.html that's only $375.

Here's a pic of the Supersport from the V&H website:

Below is the sales pitch for the V&H:

-Powerful 4 into 1 Design

-Quietech Baffle Design

-Aluminum Canister

-Increases Cornering Clearance

-Economically Priced

-The economically priced Vance & Hines Supersport Systems exhibit the kind of muscle that can only come from intense competition. Now equipped with our Qui-Tech I baffle design, the Supersport Performance Exhaust Systems are quieter than the race systems, yet maintain the legendary performance Vance & Hines is famous for. Check out the features and you'll see exactly what we mean by "The Measure of Performance."
Suggested Retail U.S. $ 375.00

D&D has systems, but that's probably loud and obnoxious if it's anything like what I know of their current systems, unless their earlier products weren't as bad (I don't know). They are a bit more expensive than the V&H.

Kerker apparently has one, also, it's probably a piece of crap, though. I don't see it listed on their website, I saw one listed on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34284&item=2436912518

Anyone have any experience with any of these, or have any advice to offer? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,670 Posts
Check to see if anyone on like the exup brotherhood has a ok' condition stock exhaust? Or even a used aftermarket cheap?

From what i've seen, vance and hines has been decent stuff.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Hey Eye!
I had one of those on my 87 FZR1000, and also on my 91 FZR600.
On both bikes it was definately a louder pipe, but no where near as loud as the D&D's. If you've ever heard the original Muzzy pipes, it is very similar. It does not have the deepness of an oval can, a little more raspy, but very nice and not annoying.

Hope that helps.

·
^I wish I was that pocketbike!
2,867 Posts
yo Eyespy I had Vance & Hines full systems on my '94 CBR F2 and my '93 Ninja ZX-7.. construction and overall fit & finish was top notch, and performance and sound were excellent on both. And for the price, you just can't beat them.. IMO D&D and Kerker pipes look pretty cheap and shoddy in comparison, however I've never owned either of those so I can't speak for their performance.. I know both are known for their obnoxious noise levels though.. I would say definitely go with the V&H system, I don't think you could go wrong with that! :rock :thumbup

p.s.- plus the V&H cans look the best! :boobies

·
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I ordered the V&H.

ANd thanks Moderators for moving this from the Mods forum to the non-R1 Forum Hell where it will never be seen or heard from again! :fact :rant :cryin :lol

·
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brought the stock pipe over to a local tire/tune-up joint where I know the owner. He's a certified welder, did the repair in less than 2 minutes, it only cost $10. A little high temp exhaust paint from Wally World, looks as good as new.

·
Super Moderator
8,670 Posts
Eyespy said:
Thanks guys, I ordered the V&H.

ANd thanks Moderators for moving this from the Mods forum to the non-R1 Forum Hell where it will never be seen or heard from again! :fact :rant :cryin :lol
I left you a redirect there :) Gotta admit that was nice of me? :lol

·
WUZ-UP !
4,367 Posts
I had an '87 FZR 1000!!!!!!!!!! I loved it!!!!!!!!!!
I had a supertrap system on it,I ran like 14 disks,it was loud!!
I remember when that thing hit power band about 7g the frount wheel come rite up!

·
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Corny said:
I left you a redirect there :) Gotta admit that was nice of me? :lol
:bow :lol

·
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
George P. Buono said:
I had an '87 FZR 1000!!!!!!!!!! I loved it!!!!!!!!!!
I had a supertrap system on it,I ran like 14 disks,it was loud!!
I remember when that thing hit power band about 7g the frount wheel come rite up!
I just saw the Supertrap listed in Dennis Kirk. 14 discs, that must have been REALLY loud! Any, debating if I should cancel the V&H and put the repaired stcok system back, or get the v&H and put the stock pipe away for now.

Wondering how much of a change in the carb a/f mixture an aftermarket system would make, and if I'll have to f'k around with rejetting. Given that the bike is otherwise stock, except for a K&N air filter, that I use the 00 R1 as a track bike, and that I have an 04 on the way, I'd rather not mess with rejetting and carb tuning on the 87 FZR.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
In '87 I was 4 :)

·
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: omg

Wiglaf said:
in '87 i was 6 years old.
:finger
In '87 I already had been riding on the street longer than you had been alive.

·
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, since it only cost $10 to weld up the OEM pipe, I cancelled the order for the V&H. MIght as well keep it stock and low-key. No hassles on the Crest that way. Who wants to bet against it lasting another 17 years?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts