Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here ever ridden one of these? how are they? I might be picking up one from forwardmotioncycles.com.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
i raced one a few years ago.
As with all Ducati's, Maintenance is a bitch. Mine needed valves adjusted about every two races, and the special tools required meant i had to pay to have it done.

As X said, by todays standards, nice bike but slow compared to a ZX-6RR or R6.
Just my .02

·
You think you can keep up?!
652 Posts
I really like the looks of the 748. Especially the yellow and white one! I hear that they are dogs though. I hve been told that an R6 would spank it hands down.

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
Looks.. thats about it.. especially the 748.. you'd be very dissapointed in the power delivery and maintenance for the $$$ you spent..

·
Banned
537 Posts
buy a 749 if you want a ducati. The new S model has 110hp which isnt so bad and it doesnt have an of those nasty reliability issues of the 748.

·
WFSR************
5,352 Posts
let's see...

it is Italiano so that is a bonus on the looks and handling dept....the power is low compared to other bikes.....you will slapped around day and night by 600s .....but again it is a duc

·
Registered
633 Posts
I agree with everyone on the board. Almost bought one, but a friend of mine who was a bike dealer at the time owned 9 bikes including the Duc 748. He told me it was his worst bike for street riding. Heavy, slow, and didn't turn that well for the street. On the track he loved it, but says he liked the R6 better though. No doubt, nice looking bike.

·
Here kitty kitty
607 Posts
Interesting, how many of you actually had or rode a 748. Maintenance and reliability issues were mainly pre 2000 bikes.

As far as getting spanked by other lighter, faster 600's, I just didn't have any problems. Most people on the street can't handle what they ride. I will agree that they are uncomfortable as hell. I had a 01' 748s and had no issues with it whatsoever. Just my opinion, not the best bike for your only bike, but they are a ton of fun

·
Old, fat and slow
1,931 Posts
lil R! said:
let's see...

it is Italiano so that is a bonus on the looks and handling dept....the power is low compared to other bikes.....you will slapped around day and night by 600s .....but again it is a duc
Yeah, Duc's are all slow.

Did you ever get passed by one at Deal's Gap? Or see one pass R1's (which have much, much more power)?:D

Eric

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had one..

I was Mr. Italian Vehicles for a bit... Had a Ferrari 308 (budget Ferrari) .. then had a Ducati Monster 900.... then I bought a '97 748 and had that for a bit...

looks awesome.. sounds awesome.. Always felt underpowered.. maintenance wasnt GOOD.. but it wasnt Horrible either. Come to think of it.. thats EXACTLY how I would describe the 308 haha...

Sold it and bought a 2003 R1 a while ago... best move I ever made.

Get the R6..

I would agree that the Duc would be a cool SECOND bike... but I wouldnt want it as my ONLY bike..

·
mmmm. excellent.
1,325 Posts
Yeah, well, if you want to be just like every other pimple faced convenience store clerk, go buy the R6.

I wonder how it is that even though my 998 only had ~120 at the wheel, I led I4 liter bikes around by the nose?

Or, how can a lot of guys on BMW GS bikes (!) wax the asses of your average 600 rider? Hell, I was out one day on an ST1100 loaner bike and the local fur bearing crowd couldn't keep up.

Moral of the story is, if you ride the 748 well, you'll have no problem keeping up with your buddies. If you ride like crap, you won't keep up even if you're on Mladin's gizzer.

And you'll have all the learned AND unlearned folk ogling your machine while the R6 sits ignored. :fact

·
R1
159 Posts
748 are a bit low on the power side. I rode my friends and it took a lot of effort the pull the front up. Go for the 9's and up. A bit more power. Im selling a 916 if your interested.

·
Ride it, don't eat it...
176 Posts
Hmmm,

Nice looking, very nice looking, very uncomfortable. I'd buy a 998 over the 748. My buddy has a 748R in yellow and he likes it(his only bike), but even he admits it's hard on the wrists. As said, it's all about desire for an Italian twin. I happen to like big twins, but must admit the R1 is just a LOT faster.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts