Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I curently have a 2001 Yamaha R1. This is my first R1 and I was thinking about eather getting another R1, or upgrading my curent one for a newer model.

Is the 02-03 R1 alot different bike to ride? Is it a big upgrade or simaler to the 00-01?

And is the 04-06 alot better than the 00-01?

And if you could have a pick between the 00-01, 02-03, and the 04-06 what would it be any why?

And last is there anything you like about the 00-01 that you dont like about the newer?

thanks guys. any and all oppinions are welcome. :fact

·
Registered
129 Posts
re best year R1

hi i have just sold my 2000 model R1 and was lucky enough to ride it back toback with both 02-03 and 04-05 model years.

in my opinion there was little reason to upgrade from 2000 model until 04 and the option i took was to throw a few choice mods at my 2000 model to keep it on par with the later bikes.

by rasing the rear of my 2000 model and reworking the suspension i was able to get my bike to turn as well as the later 02-03 model year bike with the 04 model year offering a little more in the handling department over my own bike i also added a full exhaust system and ram air box along with factory pro velocity stacks and ignition advancer the bike made a healthy 152 bhp static on dynojet 250 dyno i used the same dyno for back to back comparisons from new and was happy to have gained 14bhp over the stock bike on the same dyno.

the only benefit in my eyes of an 02-03 model is fuel injection over your own bike as performance wise there is little to seperate bikes year to year 04 model year was a great improvement over 2000-2001 in all area's i intend to buy an 08 in march and cant wait to see how far things have moved on once again.

best advice i can give you is if you want it to handle better and you can afford it upgrade to a newer model rather than modify your own bike as solving one problem will nearly always show up another with the older models.

06 model year is said to be a good step on from 04.

hope this helps

regards

Dave

·
Sportin Pimp Glasses
2,406 Posts
I agree that the 04-06 models were really good. Plus in my opinion they were the best looking. If you could get your hands on a 50th anniversary '06 then that would be a very nice upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
21,723 Posts
The '04 and up in stock form won't have near the low and mid torque as the previous years. More on top though. All you need to do is a gearing change to cure it.

·
ELWOOD
5,148 Posts
well ive had all the bikes your looking at...IMO the 04-06 is by far superior on the track than the previous models:fact

the 02-03 definetly was a noticable improvement over the earlier bikes but you still retained alot of the soul from the original r1, the 04 and up bikes have far superior brakes and handleing than previous generations and a top end rush like nothing else:fact I re-geared mine and now its better than my older bikes in every field. what ever you decide make sure that the bike you choose is really the one you have your heart set on or your never gonna be full satisfied...they all kick ass:fact

·
RUSH HOUR RIDERS
2,374 Posts
Depends on what type of riding you do. If you want top end power then definitely get an 04 and up model. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with your 01. My 01 just hit 67,000 miles on monday and still runs like a champ.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just dont know what I want. I dont really need more power, and I suck in the twisties. Its basicly just a street bike. I have put alot of money in this bike, and I'm puting more and more into it. I just wonder somtimes if its worth it cause the bike is getting old. Its mint and only has 15000 miles on it. But somtimes I wonder if the money in mods spent would go better towards a newer one cause I'm gonna loose so much when I eventually sell it.

I have never rode a newer R1 so I really dont know if I would like it that much more or not. Even though I have no trouble with my carbs at all I'd like a fuel injected bike. Carbs just seem really outdated.

·
Sportin Pimp Glasses
2,406 Posts
So if there is nothing wrong with it, why sell it. You could save your money and put it away for a new one that really grabs your attention, meanwhile ride the one you have, especially since it has very low miles for that year and still makes you happy.

·
AFTERHELLBURNER
1,725 Posts
stock for stock newer is always going to be king of the hill. I have a modded 2000 and 2006 R1 but i would have a very hard time picking 1 to keep if I had to. I have to say the 2000 was my first bike bought new in cash back in may of 2000 the 06 in may of 06. The first impression I felt over the 2 was the gearbox you'll be amazed at how smooth the new bikes shift into 1st then from 1st to 2nd. The second thing that blew my mind was riding the 06 at 175 and realizing I was only in 5th gear the ramair is amazing its like afterburners. I'm 6-3 215lbs. and for my size the 04-06 and probrably 07-08 bikes feel like they have room for a 7 footer. The gastanks on the 02-08 bikes have a way better slope to them your torso can form fit the shape of the tank where on my 00 everytime I tuck in for a corner i'm aware of the tank hitting me in my bottom ribs. The disassembly of fairing on the two gives the old bikes the upper hand it takes twice as long on the newer bike way to many pieces. If I had to do it all over again and I am, i'm building a 2nd 00-01 R71 next summer. You really need to ride a 04-08 R1 and experience it for yourself i'm still waiting for a 07-08 ride myself

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So if there is nothing wrong with it, why sell it. You could save your money and put it away for a new one that really grabs your attention, meanwhile ride the one you have, especially since it has very low miles for that year and still makes you happy.

I might just do that. I dont have any complaints on the bike at all, I just was wondering if the new ones were that much better of a bike where it would be worth switching. The bike only had 10,000 miles on it when I got it a few months ago. I put 5000 on since I had it and not one problem. Runs great. I might just keep it and hold on to it. And get another one.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
I might just do that. I dont have any complaints on the bike at all, I just was wondering if the new ones were that much better of a bike where it would be worth switching. The bike only had 10,000 miles on it when I got it a few months ago. I put 5000 on since I had it and not one problem. Runs great. I might just keep it and hold on to it. And get another one.

generally speaking a bike isn't going to be a good investment. So if you have it setup the way you like it, then you should just keep it .02

·
I am in *way* over my head.
220 Posts
The second thing that blew my mind was riding the 06 at 175 and realizing I was only in 5th gear the ramair is amazing its like afterburners.

wow. By comparison, my shift light on my '03 comes on at 156 in 6th.

·
178 Posts
The newer R1's might be better @ this or that, but the 02-03 models have a certain something (call it soul or character) that had been honed and improved upon from earlier models and has not been replicated since.

People who currently own, or have owned an 02-03 R1 either say; "I will NEVER sell it" or " I'm SORRY I sold it, and I MISS it".

02-03 R1 = Best Bike Yamaha EVER built.

$0.02 (and $0.03)

·
62 Posts
If your the same nyrocketkid from another forum ~
i've rode a '98, '02, and own an '06
- for wheelies ~ definately think '02-03 was the best. real torquey and solid.
- not sure how close the 01 is to 98 but the 98 i rode was a beast. i didn't like the handling at all though, imo it was just designed to have a strong engine.
- i love my '06 though, seriously ride one and you will know. handling and overall smoothness was incredible. its geared a little tall stock, and the engine isn't too torquey down low but theres enough, it can easily be clutched up. and i actually kind of enjoy the difference in power between the rpm range because you can just keep it wherever you feel like at the moment. balance point is damn near 12 on it though, and my tail has suffered because of that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.