Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to looking at SuMos, and I don't really have the money to convert something like a YZ450 (although the one posted below looks like a damn dream bike).

Anyway, I'm not terribly keen on the 6999 MSRP on the Suzuki DR-Z400SM, but it seems to be the perfect middle ground. Good size motor, ready to go off the floor.

I'm also interested in the Yamaha WR250R, but at 6690 and still needing some conversion, it seems stupid.

the 2014 Kawasaki KLX250S looks pretty fun, and its $5099, which is a nicer price. But is a 250 enough to have street fun?

I am looking for it to be an around-town bike that I can have fun with, but I'd also like to track it now and then. Are Supermotos big enough for a track like Jennings, or do I have to start looking for dedicated SuMo tracks?

Any guidance would be great. I'm not overly familiar with everything yet, so feel free to toss around any info, but try to keep this thread to Street Legal options from the start, not conversions like the other threads.

·
assfault junkies
1,949 Posts
You should probably join supermotojunkie.com plenty of info there. I'm sure some guys will chime in here also though. I think the 250 would suck on the street The drz400sm would be better but its only a five speed, no fuel injection and its heavy compaired to some other sumos. Its also built proof though from according to every thing iv read. I just looked at a O9 DRZ today. I'm still considering it, only thing that scars me is its all safety wired so Im sure its been rode pretty hard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should probably join supermotojunkie.com plenty of info there. I'm sure some guys will chime in here also though. I think the 250 would suck on the street The drz400sm would be better but its only a five speed, no fuel injection and its heavy compaired to some other sumos. Its also built proof though from according to every thing iv read. I just looked at a O9 DRZ today. I'm still considering it, only thing that scars me is its all safety wired so Im sure its been rode pretty hard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727
I don't know how I missed the carbs. I thought it was FI for some reason. Kinda sucks since I know nothing about carbs and don't really want to deal with that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I will say that by only looking at SM bikes from Japan is leaving a gaping hole in what is actually available. Although it isn't a SM, I am loving my Husky TR650 Terra. Husky, Aprilia, KTM, Husaberg, and maybe another brand or two I am forgetting all have made street legal SMs within the past few years that aren't as neutered as the Japanese bikes.

I personally love the Husaberg 570 with it's tilted engine and the Aprilia 550 V-Twin. The Aprilia only lasts for 5 minutes but it's wicked for the few minutes it works.

Anyway, get on Supermoto junkie and look at a few of the Euro bikes. SM is on the decline here in America and there are great deals to be had on nice Euro bikes that are only a few seasons old.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will say that by only looking at SM bikes from Japan is leaving a gaping hole in what is actually available. Although it isn't a SM, I am loving my Husky TR650 Terra. Husky, Aprilia, KTM, Husaberg, and maybe another brand or two I am forgetting all have made street legal SMs within the past few years that aren't as neutered as the Japanese bikes.

I personally love the Husaberg 570 with it's tilted engine and the Aprilia 550 V-Twin. The Aprilia only lasts for 5 minutes but it's wicked for the few minutes it works.

Anyway, get on Supermoto junkie and look at a few of the Euro bikes. SM is on the decline here in America and there are great deals to be had on nice Euro bikes that are only a few seasons old.
Are these all discontinued? I was looking at the Euro sites, but they're all super expensive. The Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 is beautiful but 10k (don't see any 550s listed), the Ducati Hypermotard is 12k (OUCH), KTM's is also around 10k, and from what I could see, Husqvarna doesn't have any street-legal bikes.

Since I plan on beating it up and crashing it a few times, I'm trying to stick to cheap and bulletproof...which has me mostly leaning to the DR-Z400SM. I'm just a little disappointed by the high price for a pretty darn old bike (still has carbs on the 2013).

I should also add that I'm terrible at scouting and buying used, so I generally just stick to buying new. Probably losing a ton of money that way, but at least I know what I'm getting.

Gonna check out that supermotojunkie forum too and see what I can gather.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was talking about picking up a used bike. A Dorso or Hyper aren't really motards, fun I'm sure but way too heavy.

·
My other bike is your sister
7,419 Posts
Don't buy a new DRZ......just don't. There are literally millions of nice, lightly used DRZs out there for cheap. Since the thing is impossible to blow up, so long as you find a well maintained one it will be fine.

The DRZ is a great way into SuMo. Cheap to buy, cheap to insure, cheap to maintain, cheap to modify. Mines an original year '00 that gets ridden year round, and I swap wheels on....21/18 with knobbies for single track, dual sport and winter beater duties, and 17's for SuMo duty (tho now it'll be knobbies only now that I have a Husky 510 SMR)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
if your looking for a real motard go with any of the jap 450s,ape,husky,hussaberg....if you want a maxi motard go with the hyper...its more geared for longer trips and will put many smiles on your face!...mine weighs in at under 330 wet and 115 rwhp...but i have lots of $$$ in her that i would not like to mention...but you can find a nice hardly used hyper s for 8k or under with less than 2k miles on her...i have multiple motards and she is definitely one of the best ive had...super reliable too!

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was considering trying to convert an off-road WR450 but from what I've been reading, it's almost impossible to get tags for an off-road titled bike in FL. The only real way is to buy out of state and get it tagged, then retag to florida, which I'm not willing to do.

So I'll probably be on the lookout for a semi-good condition used DR-Z in the coming months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts