Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,

I have an 07 R1. I've gutted cats, Race baffled it. Cut down Mufflers 4 inches.
Gutted ALL smogs, cut out EXUP, block off plates etc.

Now I've ordered a 15 tooth counter sprocket for the bike. It's is ... simply put ... A DOG down low stock. I plan to use bike for Track days pretty well exclusively, and for our "Two Wheel Tuesdays". Top Speed requirement is not a priority. Our tracks here in Canada are quite tight and technical.

Has anyone tried the 15 tooth on thier 2007 R1's?
If so, I'd be really happy to have some input into what you thought of it.

That's my question to you, thanks
christ

·
Registered Adrenaline Junkie
2,490 Posts
Most people have probaly only gone -1 on the front... If anything, the most common route is -1 front/+1 rear (about the same as going +4 rear only). Everyone likes fancy new sprockets to be seen... Especially if its gonna be +6 teeth in the rear (about the same as -2 front)...

:sneaky

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
I just went -1 on the front. Wheelies in third under power, and takes off like raped ape from the lights.

Good fun! :thumbup

·
--Blue is faster--
193 Posts
Before i put the 15 front on my R1 my 600 felt much faster on the take off. but now with the 15 front... OMG!!!!!!!!! I love it and would never go back to stock or -1.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey, thanks for the quicky replies.
No, I have not YET got the PClll USB, but I am looking at it. Brooklin Cycle has done TONNES of Dyno work with the 07's and mapping. They sponsor PRO open guys here in Canada.
I will be leaving the custom mapping to them, bike runs VERY strong as it is UP TOP, but seems a tad on the LEAN side of things.

I like the buddy's thought on goin' two down up front :)

THAT'S what I want.

christ

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also, out of curiosity... WHAT do you think this bike has for HP now? with what I've done so far ... here's a link to it http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217134

would like to know approx. HP numbers now. At brooklin cycle, he told me they use the PClll not to bring HP UP, but RATHER to BRING IT DOWN ... for the 185 HP MAX. limit for Open Superbike in Canada.

Can I assume my R1 has over 185 HP at motor with what I did so far?

Any thoughts?
christ

·
--Blue is faster--
193 Posts
also, out of curiosity... WHAT do you think this bike has for HP now? with what I've done so far ... here's a link to it http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217134

would like to know approx. HP numbers now. At brooklin cycle, he told me they use the PClll not to bring HP UP, but RATHER to BRING IT DOWN ... for the 185 HP MAX. limit for Open Superbike in Canada.

Can I assume my R1 has over 185 HP at motor with what I did so far?

Any thoughts?
christ
I think your far away from 185hp.your bike is about the same as mine and mine put out 150.9hp without a custom map.

·
Registered
69 Posts
is there any way to fix the problem properly....at the computer? any way to remove the limiter below 7k? I noticed right off that my 08 R1 was a dog off the line, especially with a passenger. it sucks because the only time you really want to be able to punch it or snap the throttle like mad is off the line. in the canyons you really don't wind up pinning the throttle too often...it's all about being smooth. so what's the deal? any way to fix this? I've done -1 up front and don't want to screw with the gearing much more than that but will do +2 in the rear if needed to get the takeoff that a 1000cc bike should have.

SHAME ON YAMAHA for this one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i guess I'm NOT alone on this one ... you're right, shame on Yamaha for this.
I guess maybe we have to spend X amount of $ to buy a Race ECU and harness to make it react like it SHOULD have from the factory.
This is my first Yamaha, I'm NOT impressed either.

I will work with it however. And make sure I don't ride any GIXXER 1000's or ZX-10's. :(

I'm really hoping proper garing will surmount this

christ

·
fast
3,614 Posts
i used to ride 05 r1, and then 06 gixxer 1000, and sold it last month...and now prepare for come back to 08 R1......
yes...gsx is very strong from bottom....but i still prefer ride an R1, because of the up top power rush of R1 is scary fast.......just try another style to ride an R1...R1 need different style of riding, learn to hold the rpm....
even with stock gearing, R1 is more than enough for street use if u know how to hold the rpm...

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
when u did +2, do you change/make the chain longer..?? or the stock still usable???
how much a stock chain will hold..?? +2?? +3???
:thumbup Stock was still usable, I just moved the chain tension adjusters to get the right fit.

I don't know what is the +max you can go, should be able to go + 3-4 maybe someone will be able to inform. For now + 2 is way enough.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, it sounds like going to a 15 tooth front may be TOO MUCH ...
PERFECT.
300 kph ... been there, done that. All the top speed i need is enough to sxcape when I NEED TO.
:)
CHRIST

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.