Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I purchased an R1 which I think is a 2000 (that's what I was told). I say this because recently it was backed into and now I am replacing all the plastic under insurance. The problem that I am having is that the bike has an aftermarket frame and now the shop does not know exactly which year the bike is because the original frame VIN number is not there (I tell them it's a 2000, but they say they can't be 100% sure without the frame VIN). There is an aftermarket frame, but appears to be the original plastics besides the low profile tail peice.

What the shop is telling me is that without knowing for sure what the year is they do not want to order parts because if it happens to be a 2001 as opposed to a 2000 then someone will be stuck with parts that may not fit (apparently the parts are not returnable). They are saying that the mounts may vary slightly between the years. I do not understand this as I thought the plastics were usually made for a range of years.

I have entertained the option of hotbody kits that we can paint. Anyone have any info on these? Quality?

What options do I have to order body kits if I don't know for sure the year?

Any other insights to what I should do?

Thanks for any help!

Taylor

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
your shop are knobheads:fact 2000 and 2001 panels fit exactly the same. only the graphics changed. and even 98-01 frames are very similar ,(not the same but VERY similar). post a pic of your frme or bike and i will tell you what year it is.

·
Registered
385 Posts
+ 1 those guys are morons they should be able to tell you what year it is if they work on them as much as I would think they do .02

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
hey thanks for your help here are the pics of the bike
whoa girl ,you are hot!:fact... anyway , back to the bike... it definately has a 98-99 rear ductail as the hook on it is different on the 00-01 model. it has aftermarket foot pegs too, as the originals are different. the nose cone (around the headlights is 98-99 also as the 00-01 has wider lights. the whole bike looks 98-99, but its hard to tell from just those pics. post a pic of the dash too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...and more...do you know which pieces are different between the 98-99 and the 00-01? instead of ordering a whole set I'm thinkin that if I ordered just one of the pieces first to make sure that it's the right year then I can be confident if the rest.

once again...all your help is appreciated

Attachments

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
ok, from the new pics its DEFINATELY got 98-99 plastics on it!:fact.... the dash is 98-99.... the tail is 98-99... and the nosecone (front fairing) and headlights are 98-99. but the mirrors which will fit 98-01 are not 98-99 mirrors... they look 00-01? so if you have to order panels why not just order 98-99?... i would.:thumbup btw, is that you on the bike?:sneaky

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
oh yeah, i forgot.... the undertail is aftermarket and 'looks' like a dussalt undertail. and there is no such thing as an 'aftermarket' frame. i think you mean the frame has no vin etc, which just means its a replacement frame or a frame bought on its own by a race team to build into a race only bike. but it is still a standard r1 frame.:fact

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.