Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
RIP my brother and best friend
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that using an unoriginal air filter in the 02/03 R1 is not to recommend, but I do not know why other than I have read that it does not improve performance (might even reduce performance).

But if the EFI (or with a PCIII) has been adjusted to increase the mixture combined with Velocity Stack kit and a slip on - will that have any effect on what air filter I should use?

I have both a BMC air filter and an original air filter (both new), and are wondering witch one to use, now that I am going to replace the old one.

I see one benefit of using the BMC filter, since that one can be cleaned in stead of replaced when it gets dirty. But I do not want to do anything that might reduce the performance of the bike.

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
changing the airfilter (bmc) will change the tuning of the bike, it could be better but will need to be tuned to that filter. is it the race or street version?

·
RIP my brother and best friend
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is a BMC race filter, but it does not look so "open"?

The bike was running very lean with the original set up - even before I did any modifications. So I do understand that a more open air filter will give more air and make the bike run even leaner.

So when I innstalled the Yosh tri oval race slip on and the Velocity Stack kit, the bikes original EFI settings where adjustet thru the instrument panel, and runs much richer now.

This was done on a dyno by someone who knows what he is doing (a mechanic for the Yamaha Moto France team).

Unfortunately it is snowing outside, and the bike is placed in the "winter garage", where I will do some work on it thru the winter. So I will not be able to run the bike in a dyno for adjustments after replacing the air filter - and probabely not in the spring before my first trip to the racetrack (trackdays), since the only mechanic I trust to adress the originall EFI settings will be off for the World Superbike series.

That is why I am asking for some "qualified guess" to which air filter to innstall - specially since I have them both at hand.

Attached is the dyno chart from the above mentioned adjustments (befor and after).

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts