Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm a newbie to the group, only had my R1 6days! (haven't stopped grinning).

On to the question...

Is it possible to modify the standard exhaust? (2001) I love the look of the exhaust and I don't need anyMORE power, just want it to sound a bit deeper/louder.

Has anybody drilled out the rivets, and seen if there's any packing/baffles that can be removed? Is this likely to mess up the power curve etc.

I know nothing about exhausts but I need to save my money for a steering damper (oh and next years insurance:( )

Thanks

Beefy

(Also posted to Misc)

· Registered
139 Posts
beefcaaake,
maybe you can be the first to experiment doing what you described and post your results here :)

and if you really f**k up while experimenting, you can always find a stock can on ebay for around us$100:thumbup

· why does my zx6 feel slow now?
138 Posts
Yah You can... I pulled mine apart, only the one end....
1. Remove pipe from bike.
2. Drill rivets and punch out... careful not to bend the pipe..
3. Pull end off.
4. Drill a million holes in the end baffle or completely remove like I did with a sawz-all.
5. Cut Center pipe down with hacksaw or sawzall.
6. Replace endcap and re-rivet shut.

This gives the bike a louder exhaust but its not as nice as a regular slip-on or system... but better than nothing.... If you have any questions let me know...

138 Posts
Well I will be honest with you.... Its hard to judge a difference from just riding... I will tell you it sounds different.. :finger and it still pulls wheelies in 2nd at about 6K :rock .... The bike dynoed 136.2 before I cut the pipe apart.... so I am going to get the power commander, through it one, put a slip on map in and see what happens...

· 190 rear section heaven !
1,999 Posts
Damn Droog !!!! who are you from man and where d'you come from (T.O.????) sounds like a place full of sensible doods:cool: I'm thinking of moving to the states and need to check places out for complete fools first (can't stand stupidity) where you at ??????:rock :rock :rock :rock

· 190 rear section heaven !
1,999 Posts
:iamwithst Oh dear mate you obviousley have no clue about warranty do you ?! you run a bike on an exhaust that has had the insides ripped out and then something goes wrong and you expect your dealer not to say "well of course something went wrong, it's not designed to run on exhaust that's been taken to bits... now please get out of my shop before I call the cops !!!!"

If these lot can get out of warranty work they will...:p

138 Posts
I just have a problem with someone saying this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard... Does Yamaha officially support any of the exhaust manufacturers and explain that they will not void warranty if you install that particular exhaust? I have never heard of anything like that at all....

· The biggest Woody!
1,769 Posts
It all depends on how much of a dick your dealer wants to be. I am good friends with my dealer and He told me that aftermarket exhaust will effect your warranty, but you can always just throw the old can back on if you're running a slipon.
If you really want to mod a stock can grab one off ebay and butcher it, then if it doesn't work you still have yours.
Oh yea and T.O. is Toronto. All of us canadians are that smart, and we own hockey too!:thumbup

· Do or do not, there is no try
2,670 Posts
Actually, right now I'm west of London, because I got a great paying job In the Chemical Valley near Sarnia, (sounds like a nice place to visit eh? - Chemical Valley)

We should hook up when the weather gets warmer and go for a ride.

· ÆNIMA
200 Posts
My brother-in-law blew the engine in his Syclone because he had a boost controller in it and had the boost cranked from the stock 14psi up to 18-20psi. Engine was dead in 2 months. First Dealer refused warranty work for the obvious reason. We simply took the truck back to his house, removed the boost controller, and took the truck to another dealership. Got a new engine under warranty, no big deal. Of course, he's the very reason Dealers will try to get out of any warranty work they possibly can, but anybody with half a brain can get around that easily enough as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.