Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
If speed kills quit taking it
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been running Pirelli Diablo and Diablo Rosso's on my '02 for the past few years. I've found them to be a generally good combination of stick and durability. I haven't really kept up with new tyre tech over the past few years so I'm wondering if there's anything that will stick as well / better and give more mileage.

To give you an idea of the type of riding I do, last year in the space of about 6 weeks, I put on close to 6,000 kms. That was a fair bit of highway, but I also rode the Back of the Dragon a few times (Virginia), the Blue Ridge Parkway (mid-week and at speed), and some bumpy twisties in Northern Ontario.

So - grip is important and I'd also like a bit more mileage. I've been reading about Metzeler RoadTecs, Dunlop Sportmax RoadSmart III, and Michelin Road 5.

Does anyone have any experience with / reviews of any of these tyres?

Cheers

·
I miss my R1
3,253 Posts
I was a huge fan of Michelin PR3 and 4's but recently gave Bridgestone's T31 a try on my S1KR and so far have been pleasantly surprised. I don't think they'll offer as much wet grip as the Michelins but in the dry they feel just as good to me, and cost about $100 a set less than PR4's or Road 5's.

I've only put about 1,000km or so on them so far, but they look as good as new so far.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,347 Posts
I’m just now starting to test the waters with street tires, I’ve always ran supercorsas. Now that my wife rides I find I spend quiet a bit of time riding a slower relaxed pace. Right now I’m running on the metzler m7RR and am very impressed. Pretty sure it’s just like the diablo and rosso for longevity which seems pretty good to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Diablo Rosso Corsa II -- Best street tires I've ever owned!!! These suckers grip in the turns and last a full season of street riding! The 3 compound is a life changer!!

SuperCorsa's are great, but they won't last long.

·
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I must admit - I do like what I've experienced of the Pirelli Diablo range but I remember getting big mileage out of Avon Azarro's back in the day and was just wondering if there was a better option

·
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been looking around and these are about the best prices I can find - all prices are Cdn $ - all sizes 180 / 55 / 17

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT - $179.99 Cdn
Michelin Pilot Power - $141.99
Pilot Road 3 - $223.99

Pirelli Diablo Rosso II - $168.99
Angel GT - $225.22
Angel Sport Touring - $173.99
Diablo $148.99

Dunlop Sportmax Q3 - $204.32
Roadsmart III - $191.80

Metzeler RoadTec 01 - $232.99
RoadTec Z6 - $149.99

What would be my best choice??