Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you may remember I had incident where I laid my bike down on its left where it scraped my stator lid to hell so long story short I ordered a new lid, when I went install it not knowing better I unscrewed lid and tried removing it WHILE my bike was leaning on kick stand, the moment I removed lid i roughly lost little over a cup of oil that poured out, I then went and bought a quart of full synthetic 10-40 and tried replacing the lost oil but instead poured too much back in and did not realize it up until I rode bike for about half hour and noticed it lost power. Does anybody know if I messed something up in engine or just simply killed spark plugs? And is it too late to try and drain some out? The bike has been sitting a few days. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
91 Posts
Funny you should mention that. I broke in a bike the hard way and lost oil before the 3k oil change interval. Rode it and felt a loss of power. Topped the oil off and power came back.

No, overfilled oil does not cause a power loss where a rebuild is needed. The loss is the crank trying to spin with that overfilled oil and the power is trying to override the overfilled.

Kind of a dexterity move on the drain plug action. With bike upright, eyes at the sight glass, fingers on the bolt, you almost want to tilt the drain plug away from the hole and rock the opening to see the oil drop in the window and then hand screw it back to start the threads going again. The art is not to strip the threads trying that juggling act.

See if the power comes back with the right oil level.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really! The bike is most definitely not in need of oil, whenever I level the bike out the glass completely fills up, now I’m a bit concerned lol, Do you think I could have possibly killed the spark plugs by overfilling?

·
Registered
91 Posts
www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004d414f87002275461c981/electrical-1

Part #20. I'm schooling myself on this bike so bare with me. Do I think if I placed said jobber in the oil, should I make it so I both kill the spark in both directions for safety?

Would I not code and say check level? Where would I set this if it does both ways or one way? Either the factory manual says one way only or both? Let's play that scenario of a no start is it killed the spark once it was overfilled and the saved whatever signal seeing it is overfilled and killed the spark.

Drain, baby drain... to find out.

Do one thing at a time. I'm not calling fouled plugs and oil soaked exhaust tips, you riding back home without mentioning this. But with key off? And now key on says kill? That's the question. Due the dex while we're still young...

·
Registered
53 Posts
When you over fill the oil, the crank case pressure increases, as well as possibly causing stress to the rotating assembly. The pistons going down will act like hydraulics, causing oil to go into the breathers into the intake, and back into the engine, fouled out plugs, probably a coating of crap in the combustion chambers, and buildup on the valves depending how long you were riding like that. Drain it, replace/clean plugs, take out the intake box and check for oil build up inside. I’m surprised it wasn’t a smoke screen going down the road. Always check the oil with the bike straight up on a level surface, I put 4 qts in mine, i believe yamaha revised and increased the capacity a while ago, high rpm’s for longer times would cause the oil level light to come on, I usually go to the top of the sight glass to prevent starvation.

·
An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
1,056 Posts
I usually go to the top of the sight glass to prevent starvation.
[/QUOTE]
This, exactly.

Reactions: Rob09

·
Registered
53 Posts
It’s a very common issue, it’s just a float and has no reading of pressure especially during twisties and high rpm’s, plus if any sludge or buildup it tends to stick causing the light to come in, and the mini heart attack when seeing it 😂

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The motors fine but like he just said the crank will smack the oil and create more oil mist that gets sucked into the airbox and coat everything. You can spin off the filter and dump oil like that so you don't have to try to dump a little bit through the bottom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you over fill the oil, the crank case pressure increases, as well as possibly causing stress to the rotating assembly. The pistons going down will act like hydraulics, causing oil to go into the breathers into the intake, and back into the engine, fouled out plugs, probably a coating of crap in the combustion chambers, and buildup on the valves depending how long you were riding like that. Drain it, replace/clean plugs, take out the intake box and check for oil build up inside. I’m surprised it wasn’t a smoke screen going down the road. Always check the oil with the bike straight up on a level surface, I put 4 qts in mine, i believe yamaha revised and increased the capacity a while ago, high rpm’s for longer times would cause the oil level light to come on, I usually go to the top of the sight glass to prevent starvation.
Approximately 30-40 minutes, I actually managed to drain 8oz and I know the exact amount because I used my wife’s measuring cup which isn’t too happy about lol but anyhow once I drained the 8oz and leveled bike out the oil marks just a little higher then center, closer to the top line but not quite on it. Now for some reason and I don’t know if I some how got oil on my headers but there was some oil near the top seam of headers, just on one, the first one if your sitting on bike would be the one to far right, how it got there I have not the slightest idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Approximately 30-40 minutes, I actually managed to drain 8oz and I know the exact amount because I used my wife’s measuring cup which isn’t too happy about lol but anyhow once I drained the 8oz and leveled bike out the oil marks just a little higher then center, closer to the top line but not quite on it. Now for some reason and I don’t know if I some how got oil on my headers but there was some oil near the top seam of headers, just on one, the first one if your sitting on bike would be the one to far right, how it got there I have not the slightest idea.
By the way I don’t know if it matters but as far as the riding time frame it was 20 minutes to my destination, was there for bout half hour and 20 minutes back to house.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The motors fine but like he just said the crank will smack the oil and create more oil mist that gets sucked into the airbox and coat everything. You can spin off the filter and dump oil like that so you don't have to try to dump a little bit through the bottom.
Apparently I was over by 8oz because once I dumped that amount I was between the lines so I hope that wasn’t too much not to mention I rode for about 30-40 minutes and not straight I did 15-20 minutes to get to my shop and that same time frame back home. Now my concern is having found oil on one of my headers near the top seam attached to engine, the one on far right to be exact. And I noticed because when I turned bike on I seen some smoke coming from engine but only lasted for about 30 seconds while oil burnt off and didn’t smoke anymore, I’m honestly not sure if I somehow managed to get oil on it but I don’t see how I could have possibly gotten oil on such a tight spot high area of the engine, I did not work nowhere near that area.

·
Registered
91 Posts
8oz is not enough for the city to hire you to spray for mosquitos down each street... 2010 and what history, change a/c element and the plugs... and when the plugs are out you check compression to see how much power is left. Now you buy a new air cleaner and a round of plugs... not a top end kit, rings, this that. First step to loss of power if spark and fuel are present... sans a fuel pump pressure, but more backup to the big C than chase your tail.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oil was probably coming out of the air system sucking from the air box breathers or leaked out the head from the exhaust valves
How much trouble am I in, Or is this minor? I’ll schedule To get oil and spark plugs changed, hopefully that takes care of most of it unless they discover more problems the oil and plugs alone is costing $300

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Just open your air box. If that is all covered in oil inside then change your plugs clean your filter and clean out the oil in the air box make sure throttle bodies are clean but I don't think it would be an issue yet. We can only give you our best guess we don't have your bike in front of us.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just open your air box. If that is all covered in oil inside then change your plugs clean your filter and clean out the oil in the air box make sure throttle bodies are clean but I don't think it would be an issue yet. We can only give you our best guess we don't have your bike in front of us.
[/QUOTE
And your help is much appreciated mate! I will definitely look in to it and keep y’all posted, Thank you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts