Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #42
I would buy it and try it. Let me know what the results might be. Good luck!馃憤馃憤
Got that coolant pressure tester and had some time yesterday to do it. Much to my surprise, I found a leaking coolant hose. Slap myself in the f-ing head. I actually had a brand new one on hand that I bought just as a precaution. How鈥檚 that for luck? It鈥檚 the one that come from the oil cooler to the radiator. So, replaced it, filled the system, pressure tested again and hot damn! She holds right at 19psi for several minutes. I should play the lottery right?

So, unseasonably warm here so I go take it for a test ride. Still cold at 45掳F and dropping yesterday evening. Held ok temps for the first 4-5 miles then started rising again. About 10 miles later I鈥檓 pulling into my driveway and bike temp is 230掳F. And she not running right. Spitting, low response. Low idle. Stalled once or twice. Hard to start.

So I鈥檓 thinking I originally had a coolant leak and ran it too long while overheating. Dammit! If I get lucky it鈥檒l just be a head gasket. Hope I didn鈥檛 f鈥攌 up the head or anything else. Probably do a cylinder leak down test before taking it apart to see what鈥檚 going on in there.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated of course.

Registered
It sounds like you are starting to get a handle on it. If you havent already while you take the heads off might as well deck the head and clean up the block surface maybe cam it and port, polish, set the valve lash, and tune it. Maybe gain a few ponys with pain of pulling the head.馃馃馃馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #44
It sounds like you are starting to get a handle on it. If you havent already while you take the heads off might as well deck the head and clean up the block surface maybe cam it and port, polish, set the valve lash, and tune it. Maybe gain a few ponys with pain of pulling the head.馃馃馃馃
I considered that the last time I rebuilt. That鈥檚 a lot of extra money but it might be fun. I need a good machine shop that could check the head surface, check for cracks, and do the valve job. Setting valve lash is no big deal. Did that last time. But a machine shop I can trust is the biggest obstacle. Not sure that exists around here (lower Michigan/Northwest Ohio).

Registered
If you want I can talk to Brian Livengood when he gets back from vacation and I know he does all that stuff. I think if westby racing sends all of their stuff to him and now yamaha has started sending him engines straight from the factory. You know if yamaha, and dynojet are asking him questions about how to do what they specialize in he must be good. To top it off he was rookie of the year in 2002 2003 for factory team Suzuki ama superbike before he crashed at rd atlanta at 185 on the back straight. Blew out the rear tire so needless to say ended his racing career and now is one of the best in the business. He also has a 2017 r1 he started to get back on the track after all this time. 馃榿馃榿馃憤馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #46
If you want I can talk to Brian Livengood when he gets back from vacation and I know he does all that stuff. I think if westby racing sends all of their stuff to him and now yamaha has started sending him engines straight from the factory. You know if yamaha, and dynojet are asking him questions about how to do what they specialize in he must be good. To top it off he was rookie of the year in 2002 2003 for factory team Suzuki ama superbike before he crashed at rd atlanta at 185 on the back straight. Blew out the rear tire so needless to say ended his racing career and now is one of the best in the business. He also has a 2017 r1 he started to get back on the track after all this time. 馃榿馃榿馃憤馃憤
Indeed. PM me if you care to with a phone number or something. I can talk/text or whatever. Where is he/you located? I figured if I want someone that really knows R1 motors for machine work, I鈥檇 probably have to send it out somewhere. It鈥檚 not a big thing here unfortunately.

Registered
Discussion Starter #50
Great info. Thank you very much. I鈥檒l be in touch. Will be a couple weeks before I can really work on it anyway so the timing isn鈥檛 a problem right now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #52
Pulled the engine out and got it on the work bench this weekend. Went to do a leakdown test. All cylinders showed 100% leakage, lol. And yes, I checked each cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke (camshaft lobes facing away from each other). I mean I could just leave the air compressor hooked up blowing air into each cylinder and air was leaking out of the neighboring cylinder as fast as it went in. I have no idea how this thing was even running. So, head gasket is obviously screwed. More pics and info to follow shortly...

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
And this is the real heartbreak. #1 piston rings (oil control ring) broken. Head gasket was actually broken between #1 and #2. But you can see the gouges in the #1 cylinder wall here.

Still deciding what to do. Wondering if the gouges are shallow enough to have the cylinder overbored and go with slightly larger pistons? It would have to be recoated with Nikasil (or whatever Yamaha uses to line cylinder walls). Need to have the head checked for warpage/cracks/whatever.

Or, buy a new cylinder (also not cheap) and put new pistons/rings (assuming head checks out good).

I don鈥檛 have much interest in a super high end engine build. Too much money for not enough return. Some higher hp mods that would work well together might be ok. Bike has a good amount of power for me in stock form though.

I also don鈥檛 really want to give up on her and part it out (even though that may be the smartest financial move). I鈥檝e got a lot into her and she鈥檚 set up just perfect for me. Brakes, suspension, etc. She handles like a dream for an old school, no electronics type of bike.

For those of you still following, thoughts? Opinions? Options?

Attachments

Klaus Von Slowpoke
Still deciding what to do.
I don鈥檛 have much interest in a super high end engine build. Too much money for not enough return. Some higher hp mods that would work well together might be ok. Bike has a good amount of power for me in stock form though.
IMO, since the bike has enough power for you, I would rebuild with an eye to reliability. Then ride it for the next 20 years.

I also don鈥檛 really want to give up on her and part it out (even though that may be the smartest financial move). I鈥檝e got a lot into her and she鈥檚 set up just perfect for me. Brakes, suspension, etc. She handles like a dream for an old school, no electronics type of bike.

For those of you still following, thoughts? Opinions? Options?
Good reason to keep it. I regret not keeping my '02 when the motor sh*t on me. Best bike I've ever had in terms of setup, the way it worked for me and the way it fit me. I'd already found all the pieces that I wanted on it and it was perfect for me. I decided that I didn't want to spend more on a 12 year old bike and pulled all the components to part out and sold as a roller. I still love to ride and every time I do, I miss the '02. Good luck on your bike.

Attachments

Registered
Hey man sorry for the late response. I have been busy getting aircraft ready for Southern Strike. I will give him a call or go by there tomorrow. I will pm you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #57
Got it. Sending the head down to him early next week. We鈥檒l see what it looks like. Probably inspect/repair all the valves, deck the head. If it all looks good, maybe see if it鈥檚 worth it to do a little machining to make things flow better while it鈥檚 in the shop.

Got an eBay cylinder coming also. Supposedly came off of a 8,000 mile bike so we鈥檒l see if that will work here also. At 1/10th the price of a new one, figured it was worth a shot. Don鈥檛 really want to increase bore size. Everything I鈥檝e read about that says it鈥檚 not really worth it. Head work seems more appropriate. A few more horses would be nice but not at the cost of decreased reliability and all that.

After this is all done I know I really need to have a proper dyno tune done. Atlanta is 10 hours away. Might be worth having him take care of that also. Maybe make a little trip out of it and do some mountain riding afterwards...

Registered
Discussion Starter #58
Also, it seems that it鈥檚 now time to get a proper full exhaust system. Been running stock system with A&R track baffles and a gutted cat. Will start looking for a good quality full system soon. Don鈥檛 really want to shell out $1,800 for a brand new Graves system though...

Registered
There is a guy on here selling the graves link slip ons for 400. All you would need is the y pipe. I think you can buy a y pipe for 250 from graves. Then you would have the 3/4 link system for around 700. I went and talked to them today they put my name on your invoice so I know Brian will take especially good care of you. Just to let you know how meticulous he is they will inspect the bike upon drop off and go over it from top to bottom with you.

Registered
I know some good twisties around here. You have blood mountain and you also have the tail of the dragon a few hours from here.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts