Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
ShInYSiDe <VS> RuBBeRSiDe
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for any AVID Painters...

Does the difference in CLEARCOAT (AMOUNT OF COATS APPLIED OF IT I MEAN) have a HUGE difference in the ability of black Gloss paint, to retain it's sheen... and it's resistance to scratching as much?

Thinking of painting my 02 R1 to Flat Black all the way around.. BUT.. I saw a SHINY BLACK ONE.. and it looks WAY more exciting... I love the look of the 600 RR from last year in Black.. but the SCRATCH FACTOR is just keeping me up at night...
So I was wondering if you applied lie 10 coats of clearcoat.. WOULD it help at all???
ANY suggestions?

thanks.:thumbup

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,086 Posts
yammiebender said:
Question for any AVID Painters...

Does the difference in CLEARCOAT (AMOUNT OF COATS APPLIED OF IT I MEAN) have a HUGE difference in the ability of black Gloss paint, to retain it's sheen... and it's resistance to scratching as much?

Thinking of painting my 02 R1 to Flat Black all the way around.. BUT.. I saw a SHINY BLACK ONE.. and it looks WAY more exciting... I love the look of the 600 RR from last year in Black.. but the SCRATCH FACTOR is just keeping me up at night...
So I was wondering if you applied lie 10 coats of clearcoat.. WOULD it help at all???
ANY suggestions? thanks.:thumbup
Paint chemistry and paint cure are major factors which determine abrasion resistance :yesnod

You also need to look at UV stability (ability to resist chalking when exposed to sunlight) :yesnod

Unfortunately with paint chemistry technology, its difficult to get the best of both (above) worlds, without some sacrifice.

Epoxy offers the best abrasion resistance, but does not have UV stability.

Polyesters & Urethanes have much better UV stability, but suffer in abrasion resistance :yesnod

Excess film thickness often works against you, because it tends to either not cure sufficiently between coats, or it tends to become more brittle as the thickness builds :yesnod

Thats todays lesson in paint technology :thumbup

1 - 2 of 2 Posts